"God Save The Queen" vs. "Our Country 'tis of Thee (America)"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

"God Save The Queen" vs. "Our Country 'tis of Thee (America)"

This being a World Cup year, and just because the Spurs... I mean, England are playing Croatia this afternoon's semi-final...

I'm surprised how few Brits realize what us Yanks have done to their national anthem (ex-pats excepting, that is, @maratsade). It's either that or they simply refuse to take the bait.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you referring to the melody being the same?

I think 'we' stole it on purpose.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

LOL, that's funny.  From what I remember being told, it's a very old melody, a folk melody even, so it has no copyright.  🙂  America used it for a very nice hymn/anthem/song. 

And to mock King George.

maratsade

I think many mocked him on both sides of the pond.  🙂

It's "MY country tis of thee," not "OUR country..." In any event, I suppose the Brits will have to change it to "God Save the King" when they get stuck with (shudder) King Charles.
maratsade

It's a pretty flexible anthem, and maybe we'll skip Chuckles and get Will. I can't imagine Charles wants the post. 

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
It's "MY country tis of thee," not "OUR country..." In any event, I suppose the Brits will have to change it to "God Save the King" when they get stuck with (shudder) King Charles.

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:

Haha... you are correct. No idea where I got 'our' from. <insert egg on face emoji here>