Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ""...we are increasing the amount of available capa..." - lighthope1

MrBuster
Senior

@maratsade wrote:

And yet those optimised sites may not work for everyone. I can't use Zoom or Teams, and have had no problems at all with YouTube.  There's more to this than optimisation. Traffic and internet congestion play a very large role, optimisation or no.  Generalising is not helpful when there are so many variables. 

Yes, certainly traffic and congestion plays a role.   Before the changes, I would dread doing a meeting from 7pm to 9pm because it would be painful and I had a batch in January that were as expected.  Now, Teams seems to work so good it is almost as if someone has some serious voodoo going on.  I just hoped off one just a minute ago, and it was fast and smooth.  Maybe they can do something to adjust what you are seeing?  

@Liz 

Any information about how long the permanent snooze lasts now, or has this now been reverted for the last two months?   I say this because my VDS does not seems to have turned back on by itself, and is staying off like it did before.   I don't watch a lot of videos and when I do, I prefer to adjust the data rate from the video site, so I normally only turn it on when the kids with the menagerie of devices come.

Liz

No word on when/if the permanent snooze function will return, but once we find out we'll let you know.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Before the changes, I would dread doing a meeting from 7pm to 9pm because it would be painful and I had a batch in January that were as expected.  Now, Teams seems to work so good it is almost as if someone has some serious voodoo going on.  I just hoped off one just a minute ago, and it was fast and smooth.  Maybe they can do something to adjust what you are seeing?  "

I had fewer problems before with Teams, etc.. The optimisation worked in reverse for me.  I find workarounds, though, such as phoning into Zoom meetings.

grizzle
Freshman

In terms of VDS, starting around April and up until a couple weeks ago, toggling off VDS was not permanent.  You could toggle it off at any point through the day, and it would remain off, until midnight, at which point it would reset and turn itself back on.  I had to turn it off each day.

It does seem however that within the past couple weeks this change was reverted back to its old functionality - I toggled it off and it hasn't reset itself again yet.

In terms of Teams, Zoom, and media streaming, I have found everything works best when running through a VPN.  Without the VPN, I have had some services, websites, and apps that would take extremely long times to load, or simply timeout.  Upload speeds when trying to share out files were non-existent, and again many times timeout. Once I began using a VPN, speeds seemed to balance out and "work better" - at least on my two computers. Unfortunately all my other home devices cannot run through VPN, so continue to be excessively slow or non-functional due to timeouts.

MrBuster
Senior

@grizzle wrote:

In terms of VDS, starting around April and up until a couple weeks ago, toggling off VDS was not permanent.  You could toggle it off at any point through the day, and it would remain off, until midnight, at which point it would reset and turn itself back on.  I had to turn it off each day.

It does seem however that within the past couple weeks this change was reverted back to its old functionality - I toggled it off and it hasn't reset itself again yet.

In terms of Teams, Zoom, and media streaming, I have found everything works best when running through a VPN.  Without the VPN, I have had some services, websites, and apps that would take extremely long times to load, or simply timeout.  Upload speeds when trying to share out files were non-existent, and again many times timeout. Once I began using a VPN, speeds seemed to balance out and "work better" - at least on my two computers. Unfortunately all my other home devices cannot run through VPN, so continue to be excessively slow or non-functional due to timeouts.

I think you may have it!   The information about when the VDS was switching back on is insightful -- I don't normally go in and deactivate the VDS every day.  When the menagerie leave, I turn it off and noticed it was on again based on normal observation and figured it was related to the pandemic measures based on the posted notice.  Although I don't use VPN everytime, I often do when I am on a Webex/Teams so this might be the key.

@maratsade Could you try a VPN and see if your Teams works better?  If this is true then this will be a very welcome solution.  I often assume the VPN just slows things down as it does noticeably reduce overall bandwidth.

Thanks!

maratsade

VPNs are iffy with satellite internet and don't work for everyone.  Also, i'm fine with Teams or Zoom not working, as they eat up a lot of my data. Smiley Happy

GabeU

@MrBuster 

Just out of curiosity, and this is not meant in a condescending manner or anything of the like, but where are you getting your information concerning the following?

1.  The bandwidth per video stream/download to known recreational video sites was roughly cut in half

2.  Before these measures, a video stream with the VDS turned on would be capped around 5.5Mbps in non-congested times, and about half that during prime time (perhaps depending on the beam).

Edit:  Please disregard.  Reading on I see it was already answered.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

FYI - The speed issues with VPNs are:
1. The security protocols required can't be used in conjunction with the TCP/Web Acceleration techniques being used, so everything basically works at the uncompressed channel rate.

2. There's a lot of handshaking going on, so take your normal 600mS ping rate and basically multiply it for each packet.

As usual, the severity of how slow it can be is generally geometrically proportional to the level of congestion. If you want to get an idea of just how slow and irregular it can be, ssh into a server and try to type commands... it becomes predictive typing waiting for the echo after a while. lol

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
grizzle
Freshman

I think you misunderstood my comment about using VPN.  I said using VPN worked better than without, not the other way around.

The reason for this is that the throttling HughesNet imposes based upon sites and content is circumvented when using a VPN.

maratsade

I think we did understand; it's just that VPNs don't work well for satellite internet, even though they may work for some people (as you demonstrate).  For other people, VPNs slow down the network and don't work well. 

Not sure what you mean with "the throttling HughesNet imposes based upon sites and content."  HN does not throttle sites and content; they throttle speeds when users have used up their data allowance. EDIT: they also conduct network optimisation to improve user experience (though this is subject to congestion and internet latency), and while network optimisation practices are not revealed by the company, throttling is not one of them (except of data when the user has exceeded allowance). 

@grizzle wrote:

I think you misunderstood my comment about using VPN.  I said using VPN worked better than without, not the other way around.

The reason for this is that the throttling HughesNet imposes based upon sites and content is circumvented when using a VPN.