Hughesnet Community

10 days left to go and I'm out of data again!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howardjenks

10 days left to go and I'm out of data again!!!

Out of data with ten days to go
This happens every month. I'm on an upgraded plan and still only get 15GB of data. My mobile phone has more than this. We use our service minimally for Facebook,surfing the net etc... We get up extra early in ordere to utilize our bonus bytes to update our apps and any downloads or videos that we want to watch. We have turned off all auto-updates so as not to drain our resources. We have even unplugged our router when the grandkids are visiting. (MEAN GRANDPA)
My question is why are data allowances so low with such high prices? Why are commitments so long? My guess is that there are other less advertised options available offering better service at lower prices. Yes my research was not as good as it should have been prior to signing up.
10 REPLIES 10
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

What does 15 GB cost on your cell phone? Be sure to turn off automatic video playing with Facebook. Install ad blocker on all browsers.

Even satellite TV has 2 year contracts, cell phone too. There are data allowance because it is two-way satellite communication with limited capability at any point in time. Not the same as satellite TV that is one-way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

After happening "every month," you'd think that you'd cater your usage to the available data.  With three computers, all using Windows 10, I use less than 5GB per month, on average.   Oh, not to mention keeping my stepfather's W8.1 computer updated.  So that would be four computers. 
handel30

I agree. 15GB is ridiculous nowadays with Netflix and so forth. I installed an ad blocker recently (Wipr for Mac). Hopefully that'll help. I think people should keep complaining about this; maybe Hughes Net will one day get the message. I hear they are launching a new satellite soon, but I don't know if that will allow them to be a little more generous with the data plans. But I also think that as we complain we should point out what we like about Hughes Net. After a few months of use, I have to say the service has been excellent. Thanks, Hughes. 
dba7303

In this day and age, even 15G is pitifully little and the throughput is pitiful as well. 😞
billmiller43

Hi, My 5/50gb plan has never run out. BUT I run a Mac, and stay off FB and the Hughesnet page. They "Suck UP Data"! Using my "Activity Monitor" utility it showed how FB is continually communicating, all those little pics and contacts just keep on going forever, and the games are just as bad. One day on the Hughesnet page I used up over one GB before noon! Video and graphics in HD are huge in size. Check out the usage for one HD video, a couple of GB for one from memory?
After 10 days I have only used 780 MB of "Anytime". A used Mac can be had on ebay for as little as $100.

Liz

Good morning Howard,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Our senior VP of sales and marketing, Mike Cook, addressed why we have data allowances:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/gen_4_service_plan

To add onto the others' suggestions for managing your data, here are additional tips, some of which have been suggested above and some you're already on top of:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

If you are consistently running out of data you need to be a little more proactive in determining just where on the "usage curve" you are.

With 15 GB per month you can only allow 3.75 GB per week.

The download Status Meter has a quick method to determine just where you are at any given point:

If you find yourself running "behind" you can reduce the number of devices you have connected or take other measures to reduce your rate of usage or determine where the data leak is.

With a capped service you have to learn to pace yourself.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GabeU

To be fairly honest, a MAC is nothing more than a generic PC, nothing notably different as far as browsing the internet.

Right.  And sure, a Windows PC tends to have everything enabled/turned on from the get go, but it's like going into a house that has everything electrical turned on (kids...go figure).  If you take a little time to go around and turn things off that you don't need, you are going to save a lot on your electric bill.

No one has to watch on demand films.  No one has to watch on demand TV shows.  No one has to watch dozens of goofy animal videos every day on YouTube and Facebook.  It seems, though, that not only can some people simply not function without these things, they believe that all ISPs should provide the bandwidth for such, no matter what.  I mean, what is this, the STONE AGE?  LOL. 

GabeU

and "gathering information".
Should I be nervous?  LOL.