cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Old Labs

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

Keep an eye on the GB being consumed by Windows Explorer in the right hand Glasswire pane at the top of the Apps section as shown above, to see if it continues climbing. If MalwareBytes was successful, it should stop increasing and flat line at 1.2 GB - if it continues to climb, we're gonna need a bigger hammer. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Re: 3 calls re: excessive data usage. Told yesterday to unplug LAN overnight & call back NOW told to post? I'm not familiar with this???

I suggest doing a rescan in safe mode.

Follow that up with seeing if data is still draining out. It will still be at the top of the Glasswire list because it is part of todays usage but a peek at the status meter should tell the tale.

Lets see if things are under control before we discus "nuke and repave".

We can talk about the various replacements for Mcafee later.

If you don't see around much tomorrow think nothing of it.

Up at 5am and not back home from work until at least 5 pm. but I'll try to check in on my tablet.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As Old Labs stated, keep an eye on the right pane Windows Explorer listing. It should remain at 1.2 GB and not climb.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The Glasswire "Firewall" is actually just a different interface for the Windows Firewall... The way Win10 is built, you are pretty much stuck with the stock firewall even if you purchase something from another company, as it's just that other companies interface.
cathyedfbf
New Poster

This is the results of the 2nd scan....even I can tell it looks much better!!
So, what do I do if the Wins Exp starts climbing up fast again?   Come back here, start a new post, shoot myself OR drink a lot?     If this is "goodbye"....THANKS AGAIN!!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you notice large chunks of data being used by Windows Explorer, or anything that seems suspicious, just come back and let us know.  If it's in the next few days, just post a reply here, if it's in a few months you may be better to create a new post. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

If WE starts again we will, like Old Labs said, "use a bigger hammer".

There is no reason to say goodbye ... there is a wealth of computer and Hughesnet related information buried in the topics here in the Community. You are always welcome to come browse and or chat.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

524 items found???  Oh my! 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

524 items found???  Oh my! 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Good morning all,

Thank you for keeping at it, you've made some great progress! I hope the last bit of cleaning helped and we no longer see usage leaking from Windows Explorer. I'll keep this thread open for you, Cathy, so you can keep us updated on your usage since removing all that malware.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!