cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmally slow download speed except between 1-4AM, very unsatisfied!!!!!!!!!

Openroad98
New Poster

Abysmally slow download speed except between 1-4AM, very unsatisfied!!!!!!!!!

As a newer HughesNet customer (under 2 months), I am feeling VERY misled on the general consistancy and data download speeds I am seeing OTHER than off peak (after 1AM and before 4AM).  I was told I wouldn't be able to play low latency games (Call of Duty, Fortnight, etc) which I expected with satellite.  What I didn't expect was an average of 2.5MBPS not counting the overnight high speeds achieved when everyone in the USA is sleeping. This is something I have struggled with for weeks now, cursing the computer, the modem, and the wasted time as I wait for basic, simple webpages to load.  I have no hope of watched any low quality streaming services again since it buffers longer than it plays.

I'm having trouble logging in to my mortgage portal (page times out due to low bandwidth), cueing up gmail and working from it, logging into any of my work accounts and completely forget any type of low quality SD Zoom meetings, which I do have to do (and now am butchering my phone data plan).  I've done the required speed test.net eval and connected directly to the modem with WiFi turned off.  Here are my results:

TestMy HughesNet Speed - 25MB Download 

I will rerun a 2nd test all day today, but without some changes I am not able to see a way forward if this is the speed I am expected to see.

Frustrated, A. Shield

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Abysmally slow download speed except between 1-4AM, very unsatisfied!!!!!!!!!

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Your DL test needs to be done using the 25MB file.  (Your uploads, going by your tests, look just fine -- HN is designed to deliver 3 Mbps up). I think you should focus on your downloads.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Abysmally slow download speed except between 1-4AM, very unsatisfied!!!!!!!!!

@Openroad98 

If you're using the automatic testing option to run your tests, make sure to tick the box for "No Forward" under the Minimum Download and Upload size boxes.  This way the tests will never resize to anything larger than 25MB and 4MB.  

Capture.PNG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
DebiS
Sophomore

I am wondering if Hughesnet helped you? I looked at your testmy.net results and up until today Nov.1 they paralleled my experience but now you are getting really good download speeds. I only get those at night and I know I still have 87% of my data limit left. Thanks!
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

He just posted today -- the HN reps will probably address his post this coming week. 

DebiS wrote:
I am wondering if Hughesnet helped you? I looked at your testmy.net results and up until today Nov.1 they paralleled my experience but now you are getting really good download speeds. I only get those at night and I know I still have 87% of my data limit left. Thanks!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Openroad98 

First, you're needlessly wasting an awful lot of your data on tests that don't need to be so large.  Again, if your'e using the automatic test setup please tick the box I referenced to prevent the 25MB download tests from resizing to something larger.  Also, you really don't need to run so many.  An individual batch of 3-5 tests at a few different times of day, for a total of ~15 tests, is enough.    

Regarding your tests, are you sure you weren't out of Service Plan data, but not your Bonus Zone data?  Your tests may suggest this, as your speeds were not good during the 8AM to 2AM period, when your Service Plan data would be used, but your speeds would be ~3Mbps or under if out of it, then would rise during the 2AM to 8AM period, when your Bonus Zone data would be used.  With today's tests, it looks as if either your monthly Service Plan data allotment has been refilled, you're using Token Data, or someone fixed your speed issue.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Outdoorcl

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro