cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addon's to control data useage

CWM030
Sophomore

Addon's to control data useage

HI Ya'll, I want to know are there any add ons for Firefox to help with data consumption? I currently have Ublock origin installed. I tried ABP ( ad block pro) but ABP slowed down firefox when I was on facebook.com. I could be typing something like a reply or status message and I could be through typing the sentence out and FF would be 4 to 5 words behind. Since switching to UBO that issue has went away. My problem is auto playing videos... Where you go to a website and videos just start playing automatically muted. Or you start to scroll down on a webpage and the video pops out to the right of the screen and keeps playing. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
CWM030
Sophomore

Re: Addon's to control data useage

PS where did my button go to edit post's? That button has totally disappeared as an option?
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Button's still there.

2021-09-23_11-51-33.png

CWM030
Sophomore

@maratsade I do not have 3 little dots in the corner of my post's anymore: https://imgur.com/a/abiLUYB My reply window looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/FNTMTwg
CWM030
Sophomore

@maratsade   Ahhh I just fixed it... I turned off Ublock Origin for this website and the 3 little dots magically appeared again!

maratsade

Ha ha! I was just going to suggest turning off your ad blocker. Smiley Happy

GabeU

Videos are a tricky one, as most of the blockers out there only stop them from showing, but not still loading and using the data anyway.  For most websites that start playing videos automatically, which seems to be an ever increasing number, I tend to switch to a reader view.  Granted, it can look a little funny, but I can still read the content of the page without the video loading or playing.  It doesn't work for all sites, but when trying to read a news site or the like it definitely comes in handy.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade

"For most websites that start playing videos automatically, which seems to be an ever increasing number, I tend to switch to a reader view. "

Ditto. 

CWM030
Sophomore

I had to try it out... Pretty nice!

@GabeU  What do you do for sites that don't offer reader mode?

Screenshot at 2021-09-23 16-56-40.png

maratsade

You can install browser add-ons that will switch to reader mode. 

@CWM030 wrote:

What do you do for sites that don't offer reader mode?