cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Flash Video Conferencing Failure: RTMP Disabled

Observer

Adobe Flash Video Conferencing Failure: RTMP Disabled

I'm trying to connect with a video conferencing web application that's built with Adobe Flash, but the web application says it can't connect to the server. So, I used the web application's Internet speed test tool, and I get the following error message:

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 8.57.00 AM.png

It's a company called VIPKID (https://t.vipkid.com.cn/) that's based in China; they provide English tutoring for Chinese students. My wife applied to be a tutor for extra money, but I can't get their Flash-based video conferencing app to work. I'm wondering if it's purely a latency issue (2000ms), or if it's because my HughesNet residential system is running off of a CGN that prevents the RTMP protocol from connecting properly. If it's the latter, I'm wondering if switching to a business account with a static public IP address will fix it.

1 REPLY 1
Assistant Professor

Re: Adobe Flash Video Conferencing Failure: RTMP Disabled

Best that I know, HN only blocks port 25 for some mail applications. RTMP is port 1935 over TCP, which should be fine...

unless they're trying to direct-connect to your public IP. That won't work because you're essentially behind a double-NATted firewall. Unsure if going to a static IP will help that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.