Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superslowhughes
Sophomore

Advanced tech support says after hours when not after hours

Have now had Hughes for 1 month. That's one month of horrible slow service. I had hughes years ago and it was great compared to now.

I have had nothing but slow inconsistent speeds. Test my net is mostly unreliable as a speed test. It does not reflect the real world in any since of the imagination. The Hughes test is closer to reality but it plays games with the numbers also.

Typically my speeds for any site I go to is between 10 and 150Kb. Not KB. YouTube at even 480 is a joke. Sometimes it works good but most times I can't use it and it defaults to 144 and still will not play. My Ipad won't update. Driver downloads from Nivida or Asus etc are almost impossible to get.

Evening is worse than mornings. Mornings are not much better. If I get to 1Mb not 1MB its a relief. I have called many times and have been advanced to the next guy and given a Pin. I try to call during hours again today and it says I am calling outside of hours. I am not outside of hours so I guess that part it broke also.

This has been the most frustrating internet besides StarBand I have ever had. Constant delays and lies or misinformation from low level techs. There just reading from a script I guess and just tell you wahtever to get you off the phone. They have even hung up on me before.

I have tried all there suggestions. I have tried 3 different computers several tablets. I have tried wireless and wired. I have turned off the wireless and just used Wired. All to the same effect. Useless Internet.

Now I can't even get someone to answer the phone on a Saturday during there stated hours. I work during there hours in the week so I can't call since I would not be home to try there suggestions.

After reading the posts here I am seriously regretting coming back to Hughes. There are a few champions on all the posts about how great the koolaide is but in reality it is very sour.

How does one get support if Advanced Support won't answer the phone?

42 REPLIES 42
superslowhughes
Sophomore

"Date Recorded","Download Result(KBPS)","Upload Result(KBPS)"
"09/30/2017 09:32 AM","135","608"
"09/30/2017 09:04 AM","224","1346"
"09/29/2017 07:23 PM","147","2733"
"09/27/2017 08:07 PM","94","1575"
"09/26/2017 07:14 PM","88","2045"
"09/26/2017 05:48 PM","267","1413"
"09/22/2017 08:15 PM","1038","2809"
"09/22/2017 08:13 PM","910","2754"
"09/22/2017 08:09 PM","13114","2673"
"09/22/2017 08:07 PM","708","1202"
"09/14/2017 05:53 AM","143","463"
"09/14/2017 05:47 AM","45469","1048"
"09/14/2017 05:46 AM","135","454"
"09/13/2017 06:59 PM","2261","2771"
"09/13/2017 06:57 PM","1122","769"
"09/13/2017 06:55 PM","263","740"
"09/13/2017 06:52 PM","39309","1324"
"09/13/2017 06:51 PM","12572","3049"
"09/13/2017 06:47 PM","38","493"
"09/13/2017 06:23 PM","34755","2809"
"09/13/2017 06:21 PM","11316","3150"
"09/13/2017 10:01 AM","52043","2902"
"09/13/2017 09:58 AM","18769","2858"
"09/12/2017 06:53 PM","583","3068"
"09/12/2017 06:51 PM","769","2736"
"09/04/2017 02:47 PM","837","2602"
"09/01/2017 08:56 PM","3031","2823"
"09/01/2017 08:07 PM","3569","731"
"09/01/2017 07:49 PM","1695","2064"

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may want to post a link to your results page from Testmy.net

Testmy.net results are fake and not what I am seeing in reality. The site is optimized and gets packet priority by Hughes so that they will not look so bad. You would think they would do this on there own speed test as well but that seems broke.. I will not post them because they are not my reality.

Yes I get good speeds on Testmy.net for the most part. And ONLY on there. No other site on the internet provides good speeds. General surfin or dowloading files or watching videos. I watch the incoming speed and its almost always under 1mbps. I can swith and tether to my phone and I can get 3 to 10mbps to the same sites and files that I only get 1 or under with Hughes. I am not Fapped. I have only used less than 1% of my allocated bandwidth so I am not sure why Hughes is so Slow. Signal strength is good.

@superslowhughes wrote:

Testmy.net results are fake and not what I am seeing in reality. The site is optimized and gets packet priority by Hughes so that they will not look so bad. You would think they would do this on there own speed test as well but that seems broke.. I will not post them because they are not my reality.

a. Not fake.

b. Not packet prioritized (jeez... there is no such thing)

I would suggest that if TestMy is good, there is an issue somewhere else with your connection. But let's not make things up.

If you maintain it's true, then produce documented proof, as I know you can't.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

The champions come out of the wood work. lol

If my results are good on TestMy and no where else, you say the problem is on my end. That's like saying the whole of the Internet is broke except testmy.net. That's laughable.

Yes there is packet priority. Unless a of last year they no longer do this. For the last decade many Internet providers have been using this. So don't tell me it does not exist. I am not some stupid person that has no experience.

There are obvious issues with Hughes.. Just read the posts. Just because you have great service or are paid to be a champion does not mean the rest of us have even remotely good service.

maratsade

"If my results are good on TestMy and no where else"

Clearly there's some kind of an issue if you're getting very different results.   And yes, just because some of us have good service does not mean everyone does.  Hence this site.

Yes Clearly I have an issue. I wish I know what it was and how to solve it. Like I stated I have talked to several lower techs and a couple advanced ones with no good solution. Today I tried to call many times during hours and was told I was not calling during hours. Not sure if it was a day off for them since it said on the recording they were supposed to be there during 11-2 est on Saturday and I was calling during that time.

This has been extremely frustrating and if I have to terminate it due to how bad the service is it will cost me even more money which is even more infuriating.

I'm sorry... your logic is impeccable. Not really, but that's what you want to hear, so I'll say that.

Yes, I read the posts. There are issues. My beam is having issues.

Does that mean all of Hughes is bad, no. It just means people are having issues.

Here's a fact: FEW PEOPLE WRITE ABOUT WHEN THINGS ARE GOOD - ONLY TO COMPLAIN WHEN THEY ARE BAD.

I did that in large letters so you can see it better.

Get real.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"The champions come out of the wood work."

Best thing about the site.They do come out of the woodwork to help others, and on a volunteer basis to boot.  And on weekends.  They're awesome. 

Hughesnet will use QoS to prioritize traffic, however, they do it on a port by port basis.  Testmy.net traffic goes over the same port any other website would, it isn't prioritized higher than other websites.

The key reason we ask for testmy.net results is because it's the only test where one can dictate how much data is used (you don't want too much or too little) for testing.  Five years ago, before Chrome and Firefox dumped Java support, Hughes accepted ONLY their tests, they refused to use a third party test for results, but have since allowed testmy.net as it has shown fairly reliable results.

If you want assistance, you can get it here, but yes, you will have to jump through the hoops required.

1: Are you on beam 68? If yes, don't continue on with the following questions.
2: Have you performed tests at testmy.net and the Hughesnet speedtest page?
3: Since the community members don't have access to Hughesnet test results, can you share them, along with your testmy.net results?
4: Have you performed any form of a pathping to a website that works good, and another one to a website that isn't working good?  In this case, since you say testmy.net is prioritized, maybe do one to testmy.net and one to a website you are having issues with.
5: Have you performed any form of deeper testing to see where the issues may lay?

Satellite Name

EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID15
Beam ID5
Outroute ID1

If you want assistance, you can get it here, but yes, you will have to jump through the hoops required.

1: Are you on beam 68? If yes, don't continue on with the following questions.

Beam 5
2: Have you performed tests at testmy.net and the Hughesnet speedtest page?

Yes See above posts
3: Since the community members don't have access to Hughesnet test results, can you share them, along with your testmy.net results?

Posted in previous post
4: Have you performed any form of a pathping to a website that works good, and another one to a website that isn't working good?  In this case, since you say testmy.net is prioritized, maybe do one to testmy.net and one to a website you are having issues with.

When I ping sites I get the normal 600ms times and no packet losss.
5: Have you performed any form of deeper testing to see where the issues may lay?

No, not sure what other tests a relevent. Looking for guidance on this.

Tests that involve checking for packet loss over a period of time to a service that is having issues, as well as DNS lookup times and so on.

One thing you can try is disabling Web-Acceleration to see if that improves performance, as well as using a third party DNS.

How would I do this on my Ipad. I can't update apps etc reliably using the App store.I have to conect to verizon through my phone tethering for that to work reliably. Took an hour and a half to update my drone using Hughes. Only takes 10 minutes using verizon.

As for using a thirdparty DNS seems like the wrong way to fix a problem like this. Shouldn't Hughes provide a good DNS server. Do you have to use a different DNS server with your Hughes service?

I assum the web acceleration setting is in the Modem? Somehow my modem has a different password than what came with it. Now I can't log ito it. Could a tech change that from there end. I have never changed it and was able to access it until I think I pissed off a tech and he hung up on me. Not saying by any means they switched it. Just saying since that time I have not been able to log into it. I can get to the self test etc but not Wifi settings or the like.

Do you have any suggestions for software that will ping over a period of time at intervals and then log it? I have not had to deal with this sort of thing for 12 years so I am out of touch with whats out there now.

GabeU

@superslowhughes

Quite a few people actually use a third pary DNS.  Google's is the most used.  I agree that Hughes' could be better, but it is what it is.  That's not to say that using an alternate DNS server would solve your issues, but it might help.  

As for the Web Acceleration, you shouldn't need a password if you are connected to the service.  Just go to the System Control Center at http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage , click on the little white letter i on the upper right (it might be hard to see).  On the page that opens click Web Acceleration on the left, then Control.  Then click the green Web Acceleration Enabled button.  That will turn it off.  You do the same to turn it back on, though it will be orange and say Web Acceleration Disabled, at that point.  

Edit.  I just realized I can link to the Advanced pages, so this will open up the page with the Control (no need to click on the little i from the SCC). 

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the pointer to the Advanced Menu.

Changed the DNS. Did not make any difference.

Disabled Web Accel. Did not make any difference.

Tried resetting the modem. Made no difference.

Another day. More useless Internet. Today I tried getting a file for a game. It was 197KB it took 47 seconds. Downloaded the same thing using the same computer tethered to phone took a second.

Did a speed test on Hughes site:

10/01/2017 09:11 AM

KB
KB

Pretty pathetic.

Pages load but can take half a minute or so.

Testmy.net says I have 5Mbps down with a 25mb file. My reality trying to visit different sites is more like 1Mbs or less. Far from the 25 advertised or 10 minimum I was promised by the installer.

On a positive note my Ipad was finally able to update an app yesterday. It took 42 minutes to download a 300mb file. Were speeding up. It has been failing for the last few days. Last time I updated by tethering to my phone. It only took a couple minutes for the update which was approx the same size.

And once again Advanced Tech Support must be on vacation. I keep getting After Hours during the hours they state they are supposed to be there.

1-866-859-2275. Is there another number I can actually get to a human that has half a clue? I have a pin and have talked to a somewhat knowledgeable individual there before.

GabeU

@superslowhughes

I just tried the number you listed and got the same thing.  It says the call is "after hours", which it isn't, then gives a message about calling the regular number if you are calling outside of these hours, which, again, I'm not, then the line goes dead.  Not very encouraging. 

Regular hours are M-F 8AM to 11PM EST, and Sat-Sun 11AM to 8PM EST.   Being that I called at 3:35PM EST on Sunday, which is within the listed normal business hours, again, this is not encouraging. 

@Liz @Amanda 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Good morning superslowhughes,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and for troubleshooting with the community, as well with our agents in the call center, from what I've seen in your case history. Before I escalate your case to engeering here at corporate, I would like to dispatch a tech first for a site review to address your concerns. 

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Oct 3, 2017 between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #106571625 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

Thank you for getting someone out here. I have good line of site and signal according to the installer and the modem so it will be interesting to see what they come up with tommorow. Hope its something simple.

Any idea why Advanced support did not bother to answer the phones last weekend?