Hughesnet Community

Allowance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mary Taylor

Allowance

I also have used All my data in two wks time last month. They've checked it etc. But now I see where there's many more with same problem. What's up with that? Seems strange all of a sudden everyone is running out where they never have before. Strange!!!!
15 REPLIES 15
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

HughesNet has been around since 2002, and has always had a data allowance. Customers using up all their data is not a recent phenomena, and not "everyone is running out where they never have before".  

Search these forums and you'll find plenty of information on how to control your data use.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
John Quinn

1. If you have recently went ahead and upgraded the Status Meter. Uninstall it. After I went ahead and installed it within 2 days my Data went from 90% down to 11. The Rep told me it had bugs. He also said don't reinstall it until I receive and email telling me that it has been fixed. Even thou everytime I turn on my Laptop a pop up comes up asking me to upgrade the Status Meter, I click on remind me later. There is NO close button, ignore or NO button. So you have to do this every time.
Mary Taylor

Well there's an awful lot complaining about the same things as us. More than once it shows on line when no one was here nothing turned on !!! Nothing this month made sense! We've had the same thing for months. Nothing changed and we were empty two weeks before bill????
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

John

Even though this turned out to be the cause of your particular issue, this type of problem with the Status Meter is the first instance I've heard of.  The new meter definitely does have bugs, but again, yours is the first time I've ever heard of it causing a data usage problem.  That's not the problem people have been experiencing with it.  I highly doubt that Mary's data usage is being caused by the status meter, though anything is possible.  It's most likely what causes excess data usage for just about everyone, which is something actually using the data that she has yet to discover, and there are a slew of possibilities, normally being discovered by process of elimination and vigilance.      

Chris11
Alum

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Having a data limit does take some getting used to. Good thing is, we have some tips in helping you conserve data and get rid of data leaks. Whether you are watching videos or just browsing, there are many factors that could affect how fast data is used on your network.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris
sistasista

I too am having same issue. Running out of data in two weeks >I removed the status meter but now I must purchase more data allowance. Was this the purpose hughesnet??? This company needs reported because no other company is having these issues. Unfortunately, most of us reside in the country with no so many choices and taken advantage of. I am tired of running out of  data allowance. I am sure if Hughes,net has  experienced techs working for them why were we not the customers told NOT to download the Status Meter because of the problems with it. You get different answers from different techs. Instead we end up purchasing more data GB which benefits Hughes.net. 
Liz

Hi sistasista,

We offered you help here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drain-when-no-one-home-how-is-that-possible-...

Please start a new thread if you would like to work with us in addressing your unidentified data usage concerns.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

This company needs reported because no other company is having these issues.

sistasista,

First, it doesn't help to post multiple complaints, then never answer any of the questions asked in those threads when help is offered.  Due to this, further complaints have ZERO weight.  They become meaningless. 

As for the above quote, the reason why you don't hear about data usage with most other companies is because they don't have data caps.  Without data caps, you would never know that a lot of data is being used.  The main satellite competition has the same reports on their boards.  Data usage is a bugger to pare down, and even harder with every device that's added to one's network. 

But, with that said, in nearly every instance the data that has disappeared or is disappearing is actually being legitimately used.  Finding what is using it is the trick.  Various OS and App adjustments, programs like Glasswire, and even more expensive routers with special firmware are all things that help to nail down the root cause of the data usage.  It's also a process of elimination. 

Again, try answering the questions in the threads instead of just posting further complaints.  Never accepting the help, but continuing to complain, is a bit ridiculous. 

Karen Brossman

I had my dish installed yesterday and started using the internet briefly last night.  Hope not to have any issues with "lost" data. Appreciate all your suggestions for conservation.
GabeU

Karen,

Just in case you aren't aware, your data allowance will reset daily for the first ten or twenty days of your service, the days being dependent on what modem you have.  Hughesnet does this as a courtesy to allow you to update/upgrade your devices without it affecting what would normally be your monthly data allowance.  Sometimes when people come to the service they have a new computer that needs some updates, or an older computer that hasn't been used for a while and needs a LOT of updates, which would eat through a lot of your data allowance in the beginning.  So, again, they do this as a courtesy so you can do those things without it negatively affecting you.  So, basically, for this initial period you can download and do a LOT more than you would be able to do in a normal month.   

Make sure to keep an eye on your data in any of the three ways available.  The first is the Hughesnet Status Meter, which you can download at...

http://my.hughesnet.com/

The second is signing in at the above site and viewing your data there. 

The third is by going to the System Control Center, at...

http://192.168.0.1/

Remember, keep an eye on your data. 

A couple of pieces of advice.  If you stream anything, try to stream it in SD or LD.  Streaming in HD can use around 3GB per hour.  The second piece of advice is that if you have a satellite TV receiver, especially a DirecTV receiver, it's generally not a great idea to connect it to the Hughesnet service.  They can use a LOT of data, even when not streaming and the receiver is turned off. 

I hope you like the service.      

tommychase
Freshman

How would someone know if Hughesnet is already connected to their DirectTV receiver?  We had both services installed at the same time so now i am wondering if it is automatically hooked up this way. If so, how would you disconnect it. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Look to see if there is a Ethernet cable running between your router and the Directv box.

They also can connect wirelessly. Open your routers internal interface and see what devices are listed under "attached devices" or similar.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

tommychase, to connect HughesNet to the DirectTV box you would have to have a router, then there would be a LAN cable connected to your router going to the DirecTV box. If you have no LAN cable plugged into the box then it is not connected to HughesNet.

Dang chicken Beat me on this one!  
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

To disconnect a DIRECTV Genie Receiver from your wireless network:
  1. On your Genie remote control, press MENU
  2. Select Settings & Help
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Internet Setup
  5. Select Advanced Setup
  6. If you see the message, "You are connected to the Internet," then you are connected. Select Reset Network, then press the dash key " _ " on your remote (it's to the left of the 0 key)
  7. Once your receiver has completed resetting your network, press the EXIT key on your remote.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
tommychase
Freshman

thank you so much for this! i just followed these instructions and yes i was connected to the internet.  this should help some on my allowance.