cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost 13 gigs lost in six hours?

Almost 13 gigs lost in six hours?

Hello all,

Newish Hughes net user since the beginning of May. I constantly monitor my data usage as I m a little OCD about it. All my devices are set to manual updates only and are usually disconnected from the router while not in use.

Yesterday at about noon I checked my data and it showed 15.3gb remaining. I watched one episode on Netflix (set to low quality) and played an hour of a non online Xbox game. I left for work at 2pm. Came home at 11pm and watched one episode. I wake up his morning to my meter showing only 2.4gb remaining?! My meter shows heavy download usage (up to 3.9 gigs) during the time of 12pm all the way to 6pm, peaking at 3pm. Is the tool accurate or just a generic bell curve regardless? It should be noted that the line graph shows the one evening episode at under .3gb.

The ONLY devices connected to the router during this time was my xbox one and an iPad. The iPad shows no download history or updates since last week and the Xbox one didn't do any system updates since the middle of April. The Xbox was also turned off during this time.

I've spent the last few hours digging through both the Xbox and iPad with no luck. Is there something I might be missing or is it even not on my end? 13 gigs is a lot of data to just seemingly disappear.

My neighbors also just got Excede with 150gb limit for $10.00 less month than I pay. If this keeps happening I'll just have to eat the cancellation fee.
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Almost 13 gigs lost in six hours?

Your not the only one. Had them for almost 2 years and we are always out of data within 2 weeks if that long. We renewed the 7th of this month and have been out of data for a week. Reason I have it is because I have no other choice. Good luck
Distinguished Professor IV

The largest plan I can find on the Exede website is 30GB for $149.99.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Is it possible that someone is hacking into your router?  I don't know anything about iPads.  Do you have satellite TV in which your sat TV receiver, or even your TV, could be connecting?  DirecTV receivers can use a HUGE amount of data, even if you aren't watching something on demand.  13GB is quite a chunk.  Do you use a computer as well?  With Windows 10?   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alum

Hello k.a.christensen,

Thanks for posting and welcome! First things first is to rule out your equipment as the culprit. Here is a quick test you can run to make sure everything is running correctly. 

Please follow these instructions, post the screenshots and make sure to crop out your SAN when doing so. With this we'll be able to better assist you. Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks,
Chris
Freshman

Come on... just get off Netflix on line. Use their DVD version. Netflix is the biggest user of data for many of us. Use DISH/DirectV for movies.And accept the fact you cannot use Netflix without going over your limits. Even SD usage will use it up quickly.
You have given a few data points but not adequate to find where it went. Do you have Glasswire installed? If Not why not.?
PS: I love Netflix and really would like to watch their streaming, non-DVD, stuff like Longmire. Just have to avoid/ live without it until I move.

Hopefully the OP is going to take the steps to narrow it down.  Netflix in low definition doesn't use that much.  Perhaps 300MB per hour.  That's perfectly fine for light viewing.

The OP probably doesn't know about Glasswire.  Overall, when it comes to the general internet using public, few people do.  You have to give people the benefit of the doubt and help, not question why they haven't already done something or don't have something installed.

This person was actually quite polite and didn't rant.  He/she just asked questions and asked for help.     

Sophomore

Is your iPad linked to an iCloud account?

Was a waste of a whole day for me at least twice.! Found nothing out and still have issues
Associate Professor

If you "found nothing out", then I assume that it showed the same usage, which would indicate something on your side of the modem is causing the usage.