cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are downloads from Apple not throttled?

Highlighted

Are downloads from Apple not throttled?

Well I had to restore my iPod and didn't have the firmware, so am downloading it from Apple. I am throttled and it's downloading at 300-500KB/s? That's fast for being throttled! I figured It would be hours before I could get it. My question is, are downloads from Apple throttled? This is where I downloaded from http://appldnld.apple.com. It was 347mb and it completed in around 10 min. I wish everything was this fast being throttled Smiley Very Happy
4 REPLIES 4
Assistant Professor

Re: Are downloads from Apple not throttled?

Are you saying you're over allowance for the month and it still downloaded that fast? If so, go buy a lottery ticket, this is your lucky day!  : )
New Poster

I was wondering the same thing I had to restore a iPad mini and it was no issues and I'm also throttled all windows based stuff was slow but apple whent quick so was entirely sure I was the only one
Alum

Hello Michael,

Thanks for sharing. What's funny is the fact that a few people reported having slow downloads on Apple and Google Play stores, which would not necessarily be attributed to our service. We do not throttle a specific service or application. This mostly has to do with those hosts themselves. I'm glad to hear your experiencing a good speed even while out of data allowance. 

EDIT: Just a thought, most devices when restored have less services and apps installed that could potentially be using up bandwidth(push notifications etc). This could be part of the reason why it is more of a smooth process as well. 

- Chris
Associate Professor

If it's happening while you are in FAP, it's possible you are with-in the smartbrowse area where you have reduced speeds, but are not hard throttled to the sub 200Kbps range.