cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching a wired router to Hughesnet modem to extend

Jmenotti1
New Poster

Attaching a wired router to Hughesnet modem to extend

I would like to extend my Hughesnet internet /WiFi to a building that is 200' from the building the modem is located . Would a hard wired cat7 Netgear router connected to the Hughesnet modem solve this problem . I want to connect my wireless security system up and be able to livestream from camera when motion sensor is activated on camera 

3 REPLIES 3
MarkJFine
Professor

Re: Attaching a wired router to Hughesnet modem to extend

You could try doing that. A few of things I'd recommend for something that long are:

1. Use good quality, shielded CAT-6 or better. You don't want any data loss or electrical interference because of a run this long.
2. Dig a deep trench to lay the cable within some hard plastic tubing. You don't know what bugs, water and lawn mowers can do to these things.

3. Make sure the extra wireless router is set up with secure connections so no one can hack in.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Jmenotti1
New Poster

We have an external WiFi extender but signal is still weak on far side of other building . Any experience with this set up using wired router as WiFi extender with satellite internet , we tried a WiFi extender repeater to another WiFi extender but could not get video stream on camera over internet 

Liz

Just to add to the conversation, I got some tips from colleagues on this:

-You can try a powerline ethernet adapter. Perhaps try a local store with a good return policy so that you can return it if it doesn't work out for you.

-An extender on top of a long cable could be worth a try as well.

-If you have a setting that lets you disable online uploading, you should turn it off if not needed. Syncing/uploading to the cloud will use your monthly service plan data.

I don't have any personal experience with this sort of setup, so I'll leave this thread open indefinitely so that others who do may add their input.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!