Bad HT2000W??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
himetime
Freshman

Bad HT2000W??

So, I am back again.  2 weeks ago, I posted about a problem with the internet continuously disconnecting with my desktop.  I went through all the normal steps: unplugging, turning off the modem, bought a new ethernet cable etc.  Nothing worked.  I called tech support and got hooked up with a very helpful guy whose name I cannot remember.  He took control of my computer and took 45 minutes cleaning up junk and then he went in and reconfigured the modem so it would work better.  A couple of hours later, the same thing started happening.  Now over the last few days, I am having the same problems with the wireless connection with my laptop - getting the message "there is a connection problem with your modem".  The streaming on Roku (direct connection) is also now continuously buffering or giving the message "cannot connect right now, try later".  This is getting VERY frustrating, and I am wondering if this modem is on drugs or what?  Do these modems have a shelf life - I've had this for years.  TX

12 REPLIES 12
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Did Damian's remote diagnostics on the modem reveal anything?

himetime
Freshman

All he said was that he cleaned up a bunch of crap from my desktop, then went into the modem to do some reconfigurations so it would work better.  He did not say what he did etc.  This problem seems to be getting worse as now the lap top is having the same issues and Roku (ethernet) buffering a lot more.  All the connections that I can see look secure - why can't HN just send me a new modem?  If the same thing starts happening then I would gladly send it back.

tx

Jim

GabeU

That was Damian or the tech you connected with, as mentioned in your reply to your original topic?

It might be better to continue in your original topic.  

maratsade

@GabeU ,

Going by this post, seems that all of that was done by the tech over the phone. 

Hello @himetime,

I am sorry to hear you are still dealing with this. I had requested your number via private message to run remote diagnostics, but I never received a message from you. You can click this link to message me directly. https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/76644    -Damian 

@himetime,

Thank you for providing me with your number. I was able to locate your account and run remote diagnostics. From what I can tell, the actual equipment is fully operational. Your dish signal quality, as well as the signal quality to your devices, looks great. You are also receiving speeds as advertised.  

After taking a deeper look it appears the gateway terminal which is where your signal needs to go before making it's way to you, has been experiencing heavy cloud coverage. This is likely the only thing that is causing intermittent connectivity. While there is no immediate fix for something like this, our engineers are constantly working to improve and eventually eliminate it completely.  For reference, the gateway terminal assigned to you is in BOW Washington. During the summer and other seasons, you probably don't experience intermittent connectivity much as weather is not consistently cloudy/raining/snowing. Since this is a situation that cannot be resolved right away, we can discuss compensation via private message. -Damian 

himetime
Freshman

Thanks Damien - I am not sure why cloud cover would be an issue.  It has been clear and cold here for several days running and the problem continues - also a good friend of ours lives less than a quarter mile away and they have not had any connection issues with their HN service?  If you could explain the compensation issue a little more I would appreciate it.  Tx

himetime
Freshman

Hi Damien - it has been a week since we last communicated about our connectivity issues - your last post mentioned cloud cover as a possible problem. I replied that my location just set a record in November of 15 days of sunshine and no rain. How can cloud cover be a legitimate reason for these problems. Whenever someone accesses my modem or computer I am told that everything is "working fine". Of course it is - when its working! When it is off line I cannot even access this website to report the problem or ask for assistance - a catch 22 here wouldn't you say? Your last post mentioned compensation but again I have not heard anything back. Please respond - thank you Jim aka himetime

Your dish connects to a satellite, the satellite then sends your signal to a groundstation somewhere on the west coast, wihch actually connects to the internet. Cloud cover or any kind of bad weather at the groundstation can impact the entire path as if it were happening locally to you.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@himetime,

I sent you a private message regarding possible compensation. When it comes to an explanation on how this would affect you, both MarkJFine and I explained this and hopefully things are clearer for you now. -Damian

OK I understand what MarkjFine is saying...........however there are a couple of things that still don't make sense with this explanation. First, I have been a HN customer for several years and this has never happened before - how could cloud cover NOT be an issue all those other years? Second, my friend and neighbor lives less than a 1/4 mile away from me - he uses the exact same HN service as I do and he has experienced no issues with connectivity. Does that mean that he is connected to a different ground station than I am? That seems odd. Given those two facts, the cloud cover explanation just doesn't seem to make sense. I understand that you are probably sick of hearing from me but the cloud cover thing doesn't add up. TX

Does he have the same exact system and configuration (modem, etc.) that you do? If he is on Gen4 and you're on Gen5 you could be going to completely different satellites let alone a different groundstation.

That said, there are plenty of other things that could be going on that could cause intermittent issues. For example: Do you have a lot of trees in the area? If so, are they still dropping leaves? If so, is it possible they are blowing into the signal path of the dish and disrupting things? That may not affect received quality as much as killing the transmission back to the satellite.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.