Bonus Time Throttled

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whamm
Freshman

Bonus Time Throttled

Let me just start by saying I have had hughesnet gen 4 for close to 10 years, gen 5 for over to 2 years and have generlly been pleased with the service.

For the last month an a half I have been having problems with my bonus time speeds running very slow "between 1mbs and 7mbs". I contacted coustmer support about 3 weeks ago and they ran some test on my system and I was told  the dish was out of alinement and they sent a tech to realine the dish. This did help my anytime speeds but did nothing for my bonus time. I then contacted coustmer support again and was meet by a very rude Indian lady who told me my contract was up and it would probably be best if I just cancel my Hughes service. This is not a option for me has I have to have internet for my work and there in no other option where I live.

I am very dependent on my bonus time has I have to download some very big files for my work, "sometimes up to 3 to 4 GB". This is just not possible with the bonus time speeds I am currently getting. The speed drop happens at 2am on the dot and speeds are resored at 8am on the dot. I do also have some speed drop at peak hours but this has always been the case since using Hughesnet and is not a issue for me. I have plenty of anytime and plenty of bonus time left on my account has it just refilled 3 days ago, so that is not the issue. 

I have ran a testmy.net test for 24hrs every hour with 25mb download that I will post a link to bellow that will hopfully give some ideas has to what is going on and what I can do about it or how to fix it. These test were run with nothing but one computer conected via ethernet cable with nothing eles conected to the system and clear weather.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Wes42581

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@whamm 

Unfortunately, the Bonus time took quite a hit this Christmas, and since then.  More than I have seen in the past.  So many new devices coming online had quite an impact.  Many people are experiencing similar slowdowns during the Bonus period, though if it's slowing for you throughout the entire six hour period, with no reprieve, that does seem odd.  Or at least odd to me, but I can only compare it to what I know, which is only my system and a few others', including others who have posted.    

My speed drops like a rock right at 2:00AM EST, but it tends to start going back up after an hour or two, then back down around 6:00AM or so, until 8:00AM, at which time it picks back up.  

I'm sure the reps will take a look to see if anything's wrong.  If you don't already, it would be a good idea to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, if they deem it necessary.  

About 2 or 3 months ago I noticed the exact same behavior with the speeds being low from about 2am to 3am and then picking up again and then slowing again from around 6am to 8am. It has now progressively gotten worse and is now slow through the whole bonus time. Thanks 

Satellite Name  EchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID        5

Beam ID               67

Outroute ID        4

Hi whamm,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. It's good to hear from one of our long time customers, we appreciate you being with us since 2012! As you can see, I've already pulled up your account to dig into your concerns.

After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to fine tune the HughesNet equipment. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM . Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #118036284  if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Wow! Thanks for the quick respones @Liz. Thank you so much.

Technician just left a while ago and was unable to do anything. He said all equipment was working properply, dish was in perfect alignment, and stated the problem with the bonus time being throttled is on hughesnet side.

I guess I will just have to purchase tokens "which will cost me an arm and a leg" so I can download all my files for work and hang in there hoping hughes eventually gets this problem sorted out.  

Big thanks to @Liz  and @GabeU  for your help.

Good morning whamm,

Thank you for the update, that is surprising and not normal for our techs to say. Please check your PMs shortly for more details regarding your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!