cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonus bytes

Freshman

Bonus bytes

Only had HughesNet a couple months now. I have used up my anytime data and am now in FAP.
Question is.. I tried to Dl'd a movie last night during the bonus time and it never completed. I am using PlayOn for recording and I had the record time set for 2:05 am to 7:50am. Plenty of time to record.
My throttled down speed during the day is running about 1.4 which is considerably lower than I was told it would be when I signed up..... along with several other things which turned out to be "pie in the sky" false info from the sales dept.
Anyway..... does the bonus data run at the throttled down speeds also when I go into FAP ? I was told when I signed up that it would always remain at the high speed. I have about 95% if my bonus bytes left at this time.
Also.... what's the deal with the speeds dropping down to a crawl about 5pm to midnight even when I'm not in FAP? Even YouTube on my phone will buffer constantly.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Bonus bytes

Usually the speeds work good in the bonus bytes but something has been going wrong with hughesnet i believe. ive been on the forums like crazy trying to figure out whats going on. seems like a lot of people are experience very slow speeds and spotty connections.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Briand60

Regarding the Bonus Zone and FAP, as long as you have Bonus Zone data your service speed is not throttled during the Bonus Zone time period, even if your Service Plan Data is exhausted.  

The speed dropping during the evening hours is due to that being the time when the highest number of people are utilizing the service.  It can fluctuate during this time period, including from day to day.  However, if it's dropping drastically, as in to the point that you're having issue loading web pages and such, this could indicate a problem.  There is a speed testing protocol that can help establish whether there is an issue or not, but the tests should only be run when you have data available, not when you are in FAP. 

As for PlayOn, which I'm not familiar with, could there have been an issue where it didn't try to download the program?  Or, if it did try to download but had issues, perhaps try turning off the Video Data Saver off, which automatically throttles streaming speeds to such that is amenable to streaming in SD.  If something deliberately tries to stream in HD the VDS can cause buffering issues, and, perhaps, with something like PlayOn, it could mess it up totally.  Again, I'm not familiar with PlayOn, so I don't know if the VDS is the cause, but it could be.  

You can turn the Video Data Saver off through the HughesNet Usage Meter, or by signing in to the HughesNet myAccount site and clicking on the Settings tab.  

What is Video Data Saver?

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

Thanks.... I'll try to turn off VDS and see what happens..... thats a good idea ! PlayOn was set to record for about 5:45 hours during the bonus bytes time period bit what appeared to happen is that the data stream was sooo slooow that it couldn't finish the recording before the alllowed time period was up. Maybe the VDS is the answer ! Thanks again...
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

You're welcome.  I hope it solves the problem.   

With that said, one thing to keep in mind is how much data the streaming may use.  If we go by Netflix's HD streaming rates, it's about 3GB per hour, so that much streaming would use around 17.25GB.  That's no big deal if you don't normally use your Bonus Zone data for much, but it's still a lot, and I thought it important to make you aware of this just in case.  If it's streaming in SD instead of HD, that's a little over 4GB (700MB per hour), so not all that much.  Again, just letting you know.  

Again, I hope turning the VDS off solves the issue.  Smiley Happy 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

Right. PlayOn is set to record in SD. The allowed recording time is only the time period its allowed to record in. It wont record for 6 hours straight unless you have a several movies queued up. This is just one movie that should be about 2.5 to 3 gig.