Bonus time data/Modem problem?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milenders
Freshman

Bonus time data/Modem problem?

Using modem HN7000S. Case#101834400 called hughesnet tech support on a big download that occurred & utilized our data. We didn't download anything.  Our devices are shut down at night between 9pm & noon.  Tech told me how much was used, nothing they could do but give me a token. Today, 12/19/2016, I scheduled a Mac software update to download between 2am & 5am. I awoke at 6a.m. to make sure it downloaded. It did. I checked my bonus data, & it did not use the bonus data it used my anytime data. I thought the bonus data was to be used for the hours of 2am & 8am? I am on mountain time. How can I be looking at my data at 6am this morning & its showing data being used at 8am. That sounds like eastern time to me. Can someone please explain what is happening?  Now I may run out of my data before the month is over.
13 REPLIES 13
Liz

Good morning milenders,

Thank you for posting. I've pulled up to start investigating your concerns. You're using a HN9000 modem, from what I can see on our end. I'll post back once I have additional information after I dig a little deeper.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

OK milenders, so I think I found the usage charts to which you were referring; was it this?:

This table is in Eastern time, so the 8 am slot is actually 6 am your time.

Hope that clears things up for you.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

milenders
Freshman

So I guess I want to know, didn't the time to download change so that users can use it during local time?  I do believe I found that somewhere and that is what I based my download hours on, mountain time.  I will attempt to locate what I read.  So if you can confirm on your end as well, I would appreciate it.  As far as my modem model, when we received it I was told and it shows on my paperwork that it is a HN7000S modem.
milenders
Freshman

Also, the time I scheduled the downloads, should have downloaded during the eastern time bonus data.  So why is my data being taken from my everytime data?  When I went to bed at 9pm mountain time my data was at 86%.  When I checked this morning at 6am mountain time I am down to 72%.  WHY?
milenders
Freshman

And the bonus time was at 96%, which is where it is right now.....
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Opening the Modems SCC at 192.168.0.1 will quickly tell you if you have a 7000s or a 9000.

Here is the modem main page for a 7000. Note references to a 7000 on the page:

The unmetered period for a 7000s system has always been based on eastern time regardless of the users local time zone except for users in Alaska. They have recently been changed to local.

They were fiddling with it recently so I guess we will need the Mods to confirm.

9000 systems have always had the legacy daily plans unmetered from 2am to 7am local and monthly plans have the Bonus Bytes period from 2am to 8am local.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

For comparison a HN9000 SCC  main page:

Liz

Hi milenders,

If you type in 192.168.0.1 into your browser as Gwalk suggested, you will see that your system is the HN9000. Your bill also notes that you are on the Connect PRO plan, which is only available on the HN9000 modem.

The usage chart from which I took a screenshot is not reliable and I would advise against using it for reference.

You may want to look into using GlassWire, a third-party data monitoring program which offers historical graphs on your data usage. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire for data management, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

I'm sending you some complimentary tokens for the inconvenience, and to help with the GlassWire download. You may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for the free tokens.

Thanks,
Liz

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sadly Glasswire is not going to be compatible with his Mac.

Glasswire has threatened to have a version available hopefully in January.

That being the case I can only suggest a change in routers that will allow tracking of usage by device IP.

I use an Asus RT-AC3100:

There are other models that have the "Traffic Analyzer" feature available.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The RT-AC56R is on the cheaper end if not needing extreme range. Working good for me in 1500 sq ft single story wood frame home. I also have good luck with factory/manufacturer refurbished electronics.
Liz

Oh no... I forgot the Mac reference. I wish GlassWire would make a Mac version already.

-Liz

milenders
Freshman

Ok guys, thanks so much for all the info and Liz thanks for the tokens
Liz

You're welcome, milenders!

-Liz