Hughesnet Community

Buffer every 2 to 3 seconds is rediculous

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
REPage

Buffer every 2 to 3 seconds is rediculous

I have called support, they upgraded it to tech support in Salt Lake City AND sent a technician out and still same problems.
He said that it wasn't an issue with the equipment but on Hughes Net end, tech in Salt Lake said it was the equipment . ....big run around. I pay $100/month and I cannot even spend the evening relaxing and watching a movie on my Amazon Fire stick!
Please, fix the issue.
I do not want to end up having to become a Mediacom customer because I simply do not like that company.
4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@REPage 

Are you able to stream with a device that is connected directly to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, and while the built in WiFi of the HughesNet modem is disabled?  This is a troubleshooting question to determine whether the problem is with the WiFi itself, as if it can stream while directly connected, the WiFi may be the problem, as well as there being the possibility of other devices sapping bandwidth while attempting to stream.  

To disable the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually.  IOW, uncheck "SSID Enable" for the 2.4Ghz radio, then click "Save Settings", and then do the same for each of the other three radios (2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

As well, with the modem's built in WiFi disabled, and using a device that is directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, what speed results are you seeing when you run a couple of manual 25MB size download speed tests at testmy.net?  When you run these tests, it would also be best to run them under a testmy.net account that you've created, as if you end up needing to do more extensive speed testing for troubleshooting purposes for the reps, they will need to be done this way so that they can see all of the results in one place.  

Lastly, and though you may already be aware of this, if you're streaming in HD, be sure to turn OFF, or pause, the Video Data Saver.  And, though it normally shouldn't, in times of heavy congestion it can also help to do this when streaming in SD.  That link to the Video Data Saver explains what it does, and also gives the three places to turn it OFF or pause it.

I agree completely. Most of the time what I watch is worthless. Constant buffering makes HughesNet useless. I also find that every youtube video I watch has no audio for the first minute or more, this never occurred before I got stuck with this horrible company. They are liars and thieves. I sometimes do nothing more than answer e-mail and get charged a Gig or more. I believe they prey on customers that live in rural areas and have no other choice but this antiquated technology. After my 2yr commitment I will move before I renew with this company. What really pisses me off is that they have the unmitigated gall to actually charge me for this "service".

maratsade

This is a tech support site, not a rant and whine site.  If you would like tech support, create a new topic in the Tech Support section. Provide details so people can help you improve your service. 

If all you want to do is bleat and whine and call people names, then you're in the wrong place. Try Twitter or one of the many other places where your kind gathers to pointlessly bleat and whine. 

bravo6 brayed:

I agree completely. Most of the time what I watch is worthless. Constant buffering makes HughesNet useless. I also find that every youtube video I watch has no audio for the first minute or more, this never occurred before I got stuck with this horrible company. They are liars and thieves. I sometimes do nothing more than answer e-mail and get charged a Gig or more. I believe they prey on customers that live in rural areas and have no other choice but this antiquated technology. After my 2yr commitment I will move before I renew with this company. What really pisses me off is that they have the unmitigated gall to actually charge me for this "service".

GabeU

@bravo6 wrote:

I sometimes do nothing more than answer e-mail and get charged a Gig or more.  

That may be all YOU are actively doing, but that doesn't mean other programs, apps and/or processes, including on other connected devices, aren't using your data.  Had you actually asked for SUPPORT in this SUPPORT community instead of just ranting, you may have already been on your way to figuring out your data issues.