Can't connect 2.4Ghz on 1 of 3 devices after password reset

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
udanwudeligv
Junior

Can't connect 2.4Ghz on 1 of 3 devices after password reset

I've had my Gen5 for over a week now, and all was well, until I reset the passwords today. I generally use my desktop, so on that I found my way to the wifi settings on 192.168.0.1 and logged in (had to search here for password and how to's) and changed the password for the 5Ghz wif and the 2.4Ghz.
Then went to re-log in on all devices so that I could surf later on iPad and hubby could surf later on his laptop. 
The laptop connected to both, no problem and the iPad as well. 
But on my desktop, while I connected to the 5Ghz just fine (asked for new password, etc.) the 2.4ghz says "The Wi-fi network "hug2..." could not be joined. Try moving closer to the wireless router. Alternatively run wireless diagnostics..." 
Both the laptop and ipad don't need to "move closer" and I can't move the desktop. 
I tried restarting the computer, the new Gen5 router, and still nothing. 
And the "Wireless Diagnostics" were greek to me...
What am I missing?  Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It may be that the 2.4Ghz band is experiencing too much interference to allow all three of your devices to use it at once.  The other two may be defaulting to the 2.4Ghz band, and the desktop may be finding that there is too much going on with that to connect to it, thereby defaulting to the 5Ghz band.  

I'll admit, I don't know much about Wi-Fi, but after reading a little I'm wondering if this could be what is going on.  

Liz

Hi udanwudeligv,

Are you still unable to connect to your 2.4 GHz network? I currently see that an iPad is connected to that network. GabeU has the right idea, if there are too many devices in the area using the 2.4GHz frequency, that can cause interference and intermittent connectivity. Devices that use the 2.4 GHz include microwaves, baby monitors, garage door openers, cordless phones, and other devices. You could try switching to a specific channel on the 2.4GHz network via your Wi-Fi setttings (right now your channel is set to Auto). However if that does not help you connect your device to the network, you can connect to the 5GHz network instead.

The difference between the two frequencies is that the 2.4GHz network has a greater range than the 5Ghz network, but the 5GHz network provides a faster connection.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Well it's been a non-issue for most of the week, but I switched over to 2.4 on the desktop today because I seemed to be having a problem with the 5 (running netflix) and switched back with no problem, which made me think of my question here. 
Then I just tried it again, couldn't get on 2, then it finally worked, then I couldn't get back on 5, then 5 came back. 
I have no idea what's up, but I can tell you I NEVER had any problem with gen4, for quantity of people on the wifi or anything, and we had three people for over a month here. 
I do NOT like this 2 and 5 thing-and my husband still has to reconnect to 2 each time he opens his computer...

And, WOW are you KIDDING that the 2.4 has to compete with the microwave, cordless phone etc? Who doesn't have those things, and how is it OK to make my computer "compete"...that's NUTS and another issue I NEVER had on Gen4. Seriously if HN thinks that's a solution they're wrong. 

Now off to post about fluctuating speeds and the netflix thing. Because that's not better either. 

Ummm... Hughesnet doesn't develope wifi standards, that's the IEEE...  If you have beef with wifi interference, complain to everyone else.

Corrosive, 

I would have no clue about such things. My Gen4 did not have two different channels, but Hughes net chose to give Hug2 and Hug5, which I dislike...And if you're a "Teaching assistant" FOR HN, I suggest a kinder tone. Not all of us have the same knowledge level as you. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@udanwudeligv I'd suggest turning off the WiFi on the HughesNet modem and hooking up your old Gen4 WiFi router if having so much trouble with the Gen5 modem built in WiFi.