HughesNet Community

Can't use Hughes net with DirecTV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gginahtj

Can't use Hughes net with DirecTV

I also have DirecTV but I can't use my on demand with DirecTV because it says my Internet speed is too slow and it only needs to .2.0 to stream but it says my speed is .57 customer service told me because Hughes net is not compatible with DirecTV DVR but I see that Hughes net bundle with DirecTV so why would you bundle with a company that is not compatible together so I am canceling my service
9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

These two get bundled because that's what's available in many areas and people want to have both, even though on demand or DVR may not be available with them.  I've had HN and DT for 12 years and have never had access to DVR or on demand TV.   If you have another source of TV and internet, then you should not have gone with satellite, which is capped and slower than other services.  However, for those who have no other choices in their area, satellite TV and internet is pretty darn good.
Amanda

Hello gginahtj,

We're very sorry to hear you were not satisfied with our service and were unable to get it working with your DVR. Many customers would recommend that you not use it with your DVR as it can use a lot of your data anyway.

I see that you cancelled your HughesNet service the other day and wish you luck with your next ISP.

Thanks,
Amanda
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Too bad this wasn't explained to you. Any kind of on-demand video burns up a lot of data. DIRECTV On Demand especially, will consume your data in a hurry because it's streaming it in full HD. For this reason as a courtesy, we won't connect our customers' DIRECTV receivers to HughesNet without first explaining the potential problem.

Hopefully, you have another Internet service available in your area. Many people do not. No doubt, AT&T Uverse is not available at your address, or else the DIRECTV sales person would have offered that first instead of HughesNet.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Because satellite internet is capped it really should be clearly explained that DVR and on-demand services aren't a good thing to use even if a package deal with satellite TV. Not to mention there is no control over what definition is being used. Recording one movie can eat a significant amount of monthly allowance if not near all of it, especially on lower allowance plans.

Nice to see you are taking the extra step to inform customers. Then your company is very good about educating customers on all aspects of satellite internet.
Amanda

Except the service in this situation was not bundled with DirecTV and was sold through Hughes Sales Agents 😞
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Aha!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Plenty of blame to go around, especially when it comes to bundled satellite TV and internet service.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Jezra and BirdDog, thanks for the compliments.

But it's just self-preservation. Better to manage expectations up front than fix disappointments later. We live here with our customers, and wouldn't get very far by leaving out details, warts and all. Half our business comes in through our Yelp reviews.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Data is commodity, it is the "fuel" upon which our devices run.
Some activity is very data intensive, such as viewing video in whatever form, at whatever resolution.

It can, but must be done, in a very miserly fashion when a user has a data capped service.