cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

I just figured I would ask in here as there seem to be quite a few techie people that would have an answer.  I just ordered a new Tracfone as I simply wanted a phone with which I could take a picture.  It also comes with triple minutes, as opposed to my existing phone with double minutes.  I ordered an LG 305C, which will be replacing my existing Samsung S150G.  And before anyone brings it up, I am aware that the existing phone uses AT&T for the carrier and the new one uses Verizon (C vs G in the model number).  I'll have coverage. 

My question is this.  The new phone has both Wifi and Bluetooth.  Does this mean that I will be able to transfer pictures or videos taken with the phone to my computer using the Wifi and Bluetooth (not at the same time, of course)?  If with Wifi, will it connect directly to my wifi in my computer, or will I have to do it through my wireless router?  If with Bluetooth, it just connects directly, right?

Yes, I know it's Tracfone, but considering that I've only used it for 12 minutes over the last 23 months and that I only have it for emergencies, it's all I need.  I still have a landline, and will for a long time to come. 

Thanks for the help.    

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted

Re: Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

Only from USB cable (from my experience).
I've not been successful configuring the phone as a network device to the PC.
If your PC has a Bluetooth adapter in it, you may be able to do a direct connect.
Highlighted

Re: Completely off topic question regarding a Tracfone and a computer. Nothing to do with Hughesnet.

ES File Explorer (phone app) may help with this...as long as PC permissions allow.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Too bad it doesn't use Android OS, I use WiFiDroid and works great. Appears that phone has OS made specifically for it so not going to be able to add things. Pretty sure you'll be stuck using USB cable to transfer files, from my experience Bluetooth transfers are pretty wonky and sloooow.

Unless it has a built-in WiFi transfer app of course.
Highlighted

My laptop has Bluetooth. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

If all else fails, I can always go online with the phone and post the pics that way, although I was hoping I could do it with the Wifi or Bluetooth.  I can always just buy a cable, too. 

Highlighted

Oh my, I didn't even think of this.  It uses a micro SD card.  I have a card reader on my laptop and a USB card reader for my desktop, plus the adapter from SD to micro SD.  Sheesh, I feel like a doofus.  LOL. 

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

That'll work, bit of a pain if internal slot though.
Highlighted

Yeah, but if it serves the purpose it will be worth it.  I'm actually disappointed.  I would still have gotten the phone if I had known all of this before, but I was quite ignorant of what you could do with a phone that has Wifi and Bluetooth.  I checked the specs and the Wifi are the same specs as my computer and router, though I guess it doesn't really work in the way I thought.  It's more like being able to use it for wifi hotspots and such, though I will probably be able to use my wifi router with it for other things, just not transferring pictures or videos from the phone.  I am nearly fully ignorant of Bluetooth, other than knowing that you can use headsets and such with Bluetooth enabled devices.  Again, though, I thought with the laptop having built in Bluetooth and the phone having it, it would be as simple as synching and transferring the files.  Such is life. 

Eh, I already have 2000 minutes (which I will transfer to the new phone), and when I buy a year long card next month and add those tripled minutes, plus the bonus minutes from a coupon, it will have about 3500, so I will have a lot of minutes to play around.  If one day I come on here and post something that gets really messed up, you know I'm trying the internet on the phone.  LOL.   

It's got an Opera browser.  I liked it thirteen years ago.  Heh, heh. 

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

The Bluetooth may work, it is just very slow transferring files and crashes from my experience. The file transfer protocol was never developed fully by the big players like MS and Intel.

Have Bluetooth headphones, they work great.