Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting Speed Tests

Highlighted
Freshman

Conflicting Speed Tests

Hello,

I'm trying to help my father, who lives some distance from me, get his Hughsnet working.  He got his service installed yesterday, but when he got home and tried to use his Roku to stream some shows he noticed the speed was poor.  First I asked him to go to fast.com (because it's easy to understand and remember) where he got >1mbps speeds.  He then spent almost two hours on the phone with support where they directed him to testmy.net to do a speed check. At that site he got speeds of 25mbps.  So they determined that it was his device, and not the internet connection.  However, my father has his laptop hooked up, and Xbox One, a Roku, an Amazon Firestick, and his iPhone 8.  All of these devices are not performing under the wifi.  His videos are buffering constantly and he cannot watch anything.  He had to pay $450 to get his service setup, which he struggled to gather because he lives on a fixed income. 

As I said before, I do not live close to him.  I work in IT Administration so I am familiar with technology, but not Hughsnet at all.  Even still, I'm mystified as to what might be happening to him.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Conflicting Speed Tests

@Redline_Russ 

If the streamed videos are of a resolution any higher than 480p, the Video Data Saver will either need to be paused, or turned off, in order to alleviate the buffering.  The other option is to reduce the resolution of the stream to 480p or lower.  

Regarding Fast.com, their speed testing mimics streaming, and that's by design.  Because of this, when HughesNet is tested using Fast.com, the Video Data Saver kicks in, throttling the speed to no higher than 3Mbps, and often lower than that.  If you set on using Fast.com, the Video Data Saver will need to be paused, or turned off, to get full speed results. 

With that said, HughesNet recommends (and requires for troubleshooting) using testmy.net for speed testing, and using the manual 25MB test size for download tests, and the manual 4MB size for upload tests.  It will also help to save data, as Fast.com can use three times that amount of data, or more, per test.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

I just followed your link and navigated to the myhughesnet account settings.  It showed the video data saver was already not enabled.

Highlighted

@Redline_Russ 

Two other things...

Please make sure that your father has everything set to use the least amount of data possible.  This is especially the case for the Xbox and iPhone, as those two devices can use data automatically, and a LOT of it.  

Also, during the first twenty days of service the data allotment is continually refilled.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy, so that any connected devices can be updated/upgraded to current without it affecting the normal monthly data allotment, as those activities can use a lot of data, especially if the devices haven't been connected in a while.  After those twenty days, the data usage will start being deducted in the normal fashion.  I mention this because I've seen people not understanding why their data in their first month lasted 25 days, but only five days in their second month, while they haven't changed their habits.  The initial 20 days of data replenishment would be why.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

This is definitely good information to have.  Fortunately he doesn't use the Xbox for online gaming.  He has a few things he plays offline, but he mostly uses it as another streaming device.

Highlighted

@Redline_Russ wrote:

I just followed your link and navigated to the myhughesnet account settings.  It showed the video data saver was already not enabled.

If it's OFF, it's likely that the reps turned it off during the phone call, as the default setting is ON.  If the "switch" is green, it's on.  

Please also keep in mind that, streaming during peak usage times may not always work the best.  Peak usage times are generally in the mid evenings.  It varies, but it's often around 7PM to 10PM.

Highlighted
Freshman

I get that, but still...even with the video data saver off, he's not able to stream 480 resolution.  If he turns on Netflix and gives it a minute or two it will come on at 360 and slowly work it's way up.  But it's very disappointing that he isn't getting the speed he's paying for.  I know it's "up to" 25mbps, but he's not even getting half of that.  And there's no other provider in the area so he's just out of luck.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

"But it's very disappointing that he isn't getting the speed he's paying for. I know it's "up to" 25mbps, but he's not even getting half of that."

Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. See http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm, Section 1.1

From the Hughesnet website (https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5):

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. 

To have speed issues addressed on this community, you may be asked to follow the protocol outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

If you have already created a Testmy.net account and have run several tests, you should post the link to your results page.

Highlighted

@Redline_Russ wrote:

I know it's "up to" 25mbps, but he's not even getting half of that.   

I'm a little confused.  In your original post you stated that at testmy.net he got speeds of 25Mbps.  For HughesNet, testmy.net is the most accurate speed testing there is, due to the way it tests, as in using a set test size (25MB download size and 4MB upload size), and that latency is considered.  

If he is, in fact, not even getting 12.5Mbps, please follow the speed testing instructions in the link given by maratsade, as the reps will need to figure out what's going on with the speed.  

Regarding the streaming, has it been tried on a device that's directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, and while the built in WiFi is disabled in order to ensure that no other devices are sapping any bandwidth?  If it does work this way, it may indicate that there is either a problem with the WiFi connection, or that too many devices are actively using the the service at the same time, as in one or more of the connected devices using bandwidth for something.  

To disable the WiFi, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually.  IOW, uncheck "SSID Enable" for the 2.4Ghz radio, then click "Save Settings", and then do the same for the other three (2.4Ghz Guest, 5Ghz, 5Ghz Guest).