Connection timeout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starrylee
New Poster

Connection timeout

I have a roommate that is a professional photographer and she has been trying to upload files to dropbox and her personal website. In both cases she is continuing to get connection timeouts. We have tried uploading at different times of the day. During bonus time and through out the normal day. Every time it will try to up load the pictures and time out. When we do one photo at a time it takes 7min to upload a 15mb file. I have been testing my connection and I am getting 2mbps or better for upload speed. My DSL has not been disconnected yet and when I try the same file at 1mbps on DSL it uploads in 1min. Also if we upload the ten files the connection does not time out and treads the files accordingly. Why does the dish not maintain a constant connection once established to the site that we are uploading to?
4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

redacted by Maratsade.

First, Dropbox uses a secure connection. TestMy speeds won't apply because acceleration is disabled on secure connections, so it will be a lot slower.

Second, timeouts are due to extreme latency, not speed. The server is waiting for information, assumes it isn't coming, and basically kills the connection. Satellite internet is subject to ~525mS ping times, minimum due to the distance a radio signal has to go from your dish, to the satellite, down to the ground station, and then back.

This can be exacerbated by additional lags in the backbone if your ground station's provider to the internet is CenturyLink (includes Level3 and Qwest), who has been proven to randomly insert 60-second lapses in service.

You may want to try doing a traceroute to Dropbox.com and/or the personal web site to see where the lags in the system are.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you for the advice. I will do a traceroute on the personal site and dropbox. Both locations are secure connections so it might be a latency issue.

Good morning starrylee,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!