cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly loosing connection and forget about watching TV

Freshman

Constantly loosing connection and forget about watching TV

We have been on the Gen5 HughesNet for about 5 months. My wife works (tries to) from home and needs internet all day long. She is working 12 hours days just to try and get 8 hours worth of work done since the internets is always dropping.

We watch TV like a game. Trying to figure out the words we miss in each sentence spoken. Does seem like the commercials are clear but maybe that is just my imagination.

Can we please get some help or referred to a provider that will work?

4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Constantly loosing connection and forget about watching TV

@Scottydog

When you say your "internet is always dropping", what is it you mean?  Do you mean you're WiFi is dropping out?  The modem itself is losing the signal?  You all of a sudden can't access web pages? You're seeing buffering during streaming?  

"She is working 12 hours days just to try and get 8 hours worth of work done since the internets is always dropping."  

Dropping how?  Can you give an example?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alum

Hello Scottydog, I was able to locate your account and I did notice a few things. First all of your devices are on the 2.4GHz wifi network, so you may want to consider connecting problem devices to the 5GHz when at a closer range to get better performance. Secondly, I noticed that last month you ran out of data on the 27th of April, your data refreshed on the 13th of each month so for 16 days this most likely was the source of the slow down. As to your wife having issues with her job from home, what kind of connection does she use, is her work done through web browsing an application or does she use a VPN (virtual private network) to complete her work? 

- Hal 

Freshman

Yes Gabe, all of the above (or below as it is). Internet is incredibly slow and constantly buffering. I guess the wifi signal is the reason?

Distinguished Professor IV

@Scottydog

First, like mentioned by Wade, if your wife is using a VPN for her work, this can cause problems, with the major one being speed.  VPNs don't tend to work well with satellite internet because the latency, and the technology used by HughesNet to help lessen the effects of that latency.  So, if she is using a VPN, the issue with her work could very well be being caused by that.  

Losing a WiFi signal is more often than not due to a combination of range and the makeup of a house, and all houses are different.  You can try moving the device (computer, tablet, etc.) to a different place to see if the signal improves.  You also may need to look into some type of WiFi range extender, or even a WiFi network extender, if it's a range issue.  HughesNet does sell a WiFi booster, though there's no guarantee that this would help, unfortunately.  If you move the device(s) closer to the modem and the connection issues disappear, it's most defiintely a range issue.    

You can try Wade's suggestion if your devices have the ability to connect to the 5Ghz WiFi.  If they do have that ability, you'll see that connection available in your WiFi connection options for each specific device.  The name of the connection will start with hug5 rather than the hug2 WiFi you're presently connected to.  Not all devices can connect to the 5Ghz WiFi, though.  5Ghz WiFi also doesn't tend to have the range that 2.4Ghz does, so if it's a range issue, it may not make a difference..  However, that being said, 5Ghz is less susceptible to interference, so it may very well still be worth a try, if your devices have the ability to connect using the 5Ghz band, that is.   

With regard to streaming, if the issue you're seeing is buffering, either try lowering the definition of the streaming source to SD, or try turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver, which you can do through the Video Settings in the HughesNet Usage Meter or by signing in to the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on the Settings tab.  

What is Video Data Saver? 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit