cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting the cord tomorrow, going with Netflix and outside antenna. Need at least 20 GB of speed to use Netflix.

Highlighted

Cutting the cord tomorrow, going with Netflix and outside antenna. Need at least 20 GB of speed to use Netflix.

So I'm still new to this satellite internet thing. Had Comast or AT&T before. Plug it in and that's it. Never ran out of data! I just don't undertand if I'm using Wifi how am I using my date from the internet? I'm cutting the cord to satellie TV, as of tommorow! I'll be using an antenna for local channles and Netflix for the shows I won't be able to get with the antenna. Netflix informed me I needed at least 20 MB of speed to use it . I'm on the Prime Plan now but run out of data. I don't understand how because I'm rarely on my computer itself. I use my phone mostly since it uses Wifi. How in the world am I going to be able to watch Netflix and not use up my data if it uses Wifi? What can I do to make this work without jacking up my bill even more. Point of cutting the cord is to dave money. Not save on one thing just to encrease another bill.
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Cutting the cord tomorrow, going with Netflix and outside antenna. Need at least 20 GB of speed to use Netflix.

First I hope you mean 20 GB of Anytime data, not 20 MB of speed. Second, even with 20 GB of data you won't be able to use satellite to stream as many videos as you want. Third, if you do stream some video you must do it in SD or better yet low definition as HD will use all your data very quickly.

Here is how you set Netflix playback definition: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
Highlighted

Re: Cutting the cord tomorrow, going with Netflix and outside antenna. Need at least 20 GB of speed to use Netflix.

Good morning d.brown1957,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Satellite internet is primarily an option for those who do not have cable available or any other internet option. I wouldn't recommend this service if you're going to be a cord cutter and stream all your media online. 

It's certainly possible to watch Netflix, however, we recommend setting playback to SD and paying close attention to your data usage, as our data allowances are significantly less than Comcast's.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.