cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Lookup Error - pervasive & persistent

Highlighted
New Poster

DNS Lookup Error - pervasive & persistent

Started having DNS and Server Not Found errors start yesterday. Before I start chasing rabbits, is there currently a problem with Hughes or do I need to get my Elmer Fudd hat?

9 REPLIES 9
Assistant Professor

Re: DNS Lookup Error - pervasive & persistent

Occasionally you'll get a DNS error as some apps (particularly rogue ads) tend to corrupt it.

Best/quickest way to fix it is to simply reboot the modem and any external routers that might also cache the DNS.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

Have rebooted modem and router. Also flushed dns. Still having issue.

Assistant Professor

Yeah, sorry about that, I should have checked first.

It looks like DNS Acceleration has been fubar since about 7am ET.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

Yeah, sorry about that, I should have checked first.

It looks like DNS Acceleration has been fubar since about 7am ET.

Is it still an issue?  I noticed earlier that I had a couple of DNS Acceleration red exes, but nothing in the last hour.  And, of course, the option to break down past hours to look at them is no longer there, and they are showing green overall (though I know there were a few red exes in at least the first one (now in my fourth hour up).

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

I am still having the issue. Took seven attempts to get on here. As long as I know the issue is on Hughes' end and not mine. I just didn't want to go chasing rabbits if it wasn't on my end. Also, if it helps any, I am on the legacy H9000.

Assistant Professor

@dunahue
Apparently it's a problem on Gen4 too.

@GabeU

There's a bug in the hourly readings in the GUI, or any embedded link in the GUI for that matter. To get around it:
1. Right-click on the link in question and select copy link.

2. Paste it in your browser's address bar.

3. Enter a 'bang' (!) after the 'hash' (#) and hit return.

For example:
http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#/diagnostics/curr_hour_history/30

becomes:

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/diagnostics/curr_hour_history/30

For some reason they left all of those silly little 'bangs' out when dynamically creating the links in the GUI.

Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine

Wow.  Thank you for that little trick.  It worked perfectly.  I'm going to make sure to take a screenshot of your solution so I know how to do it in the future, as I will inevitably forget.  LOL.

And, I spoke to soon, as you can see below.  And, though I'm seeing this in the diagnostics, it's not yet affected me when browsing, knock on wood.

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Any timeline on when they might solve the DNS issues?

Assistant Professor

Seems like this was corrected ~6pm ET last night.

Should be working better.