cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS lookup error

Highlighted
bud

DNS lookup error

We've been getting a lot of DNS lookup errors, especially during the free download hours where our connection slows down a lot. 
Looking at the troubleshooting in 192.xxx.x.x I find "DNS AccelerationThis diagnostic message indicates that your HN7000S has detected a possible DNS Acceleration issue. 
This is typically a transient condition and should clear up in a few minutes. No action is required on your part."
It rarely clears up up within a few minutes.
I'm using a Mac mini OS X 10.10.5, Apple's Airport Express and the serial # for our HN7000S is 1032639-0001. I hope that's the right serial.
I have OpenDNS setup on both my Mac and Apple router. 
Never had any problems with previous ISPs before Hughesnet.
72 REPLIES 72

Re: DNS lookup error

Hello bud,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. Is there a specific reason you are still using an HN7000S? When did this issue start? Have you ever called in for support? If you don't live in Alaska or Puerto Rico, have you ever been offered a free upgrade?

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

The HN7000S was the one that was sent to the installer from our Hughesnet ISP. Is there a newer one that we should be using?
I've been a customer for almost a month and it has been going on since the start. Mostly during the free download hours, occasionally during the day.
No, I haven't called in for support yet.
No free upgrade offer. Probably because I live in rural Alaska?

Thanks
bud

Absolutely because you live in Alaska, bud Smiley Happy Let me take a look at your system and see what we can do - I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks!
Amanda
bud

So, how much is the upgrade then? I'll be patiently waiting to see what you find.

Hi bug,

We can't upgrade your system since you live in Alaska, unfortunately. I've tried the last day and this morning to find your account, but the only I can find is not active. The serial number you gave me did not pull anything either. Can you get your Site ID from 192.168.0.1? I had initially thought maybe you had everything powered off, but I think I might just have an old/incomplete account.

Thank you
Amanda
bud

Site ID is 2A237301. You probably tried when we had our modem turned off. We only get 350 MB daily usage which isn't very much with multiple phones and computers being used. Try it now while we're on. 

Hi bud,

That helped! Thanks. It seems I did have the right account, but the person who installed your service never finished the activation paperwork for us, so I can't actually look at your system. I have an installation manager looking into getting this closed out so we can get into your diagnostics. How long has the system actually been installed?

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Since November 7, 2015 I think. The installer did have me initial and sign some paperwork after he got our internet working. It's odd that you didn't have my account on file especially since I was invoiced on 11/07/15.

Hi bud,

I just google'd your town and wow - you're really out there!! Okay, so we don't have a TON of options when it comes to this system but I am going to try my best since I think its basically all we can offer out there. First I want to try looking at the diagnostics now that we had installations management close up your order and make the tools available to me. I can see if we need to make adjustments on the modem and tweak, then we test over the weekend. Have you ever done a direct connection from your computer to the modem to see if that helps anything?

Thanks
Amanda