cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
395almira
New Poster

Data Drain

Hello everyone,

Perhaps someone could help me solve a problem. For a number of weeks I noticed a drain on my data allowance when my computer is offline. Could receiving photos via email attachment cause this drain? How much data does a large size photo use?

Thanks

Cordially,

Erwin E Maruna

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

395almira,

A photos size can vary greatly depending on format as well as resolution, but typically about 5MB for a picture.

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo datahog2_zpsijjnkamn.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Thanks for your answer. But doing what you suggest still does not answer WHO and WHERE the data drain originates.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For Windows based computers there is a program called Glasswire that may help you.  It can tell you what is using the data on the computer it's installed on.  

https://www.glasswire.com/

I have a Mac, unfortunately.

GabeU

Macs have a built in app called "Activity Monitor", and within that app is a Network section.  It somewhat does the same thing, though isn't nearly as detailed.  

GabeU

Macs have a built in app called "Activity Monitor", and within that app is a Network section.  It somewhat does the same thing, though isn't nearly as detailed.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Thank you Gabe for the info. I checked into this and could not believe how much memory is used for stuff I never use!

The "user" part of that panel is the data I actually used?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The "User" is just the account on the computer system that is running the particular process displayed... Whether that's a USER or a System account is up in the air.

The data that is actually used is under Network > Sent Bytes and Recieved Bytes.  It will display to the left which program, but it's not cumulative AFAIK.  So if you download a 1GB file in your browser, and then close the browser, then reopen it, it will most likely display as 0GB in the activity monitor...

Not many good programs out there that are free for a Mac to track data usage.

GabeU

Edit:  Started reply just before Corrosive posted, so I deleted what I posted as it was basically the same.  

ululantwolf
New Poster

am having the same problems and getting 0 releavant responses i am in alaska and they keep trying to sell me the wrong retore tokens and ignoring all the back up data i have sent in the 4 complaints i have filed . norton has ponced my computer safe and working properly but since they launched the new satelite my internet has gone from 80 bucks to three hundred+ for checkng e mal and an occasional facebook hour.. no unusual usage on my end and have documented 6 times in 8 days i have some how used a whole days allotment of bandwidth while both computer and router have been shut of power cord removed from router.is getting quite fustrating