cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Meter showing security validation error

New Poster

Data Usage Meter showing security validation error

After the glories of cheap data in the city, I am seriously worried now that I've moved to the country about my data usage. 3.2 GB used yesterday with no apparent culprit for that kind of use! I tried to download the Data Usage Meter for Apple OS and it said that the security validation had expired, and seriously warned against a download. Now I'll be coming up on the end of the daily replenishment of my data and be up against a rock and hard place, because I rely on the internet for work! What to do?! I cannot afford to commit to the cost of more data!

7 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Data Usage Meter showing security validation error

@Buffsters

The following is a copy/paste of a reply that I posted in another thread last night. It may help you.  

----------------------------------------------------------

When was it that you tried to download the Status Meter?  I tried on Saturday and I was getting the same message, but it's working now.  If you are trying now, have you tried a different web browser?  I'm using Chrome.  

You can try this alternate link, but it may go to the same server, which may end up giving you the same error.  

Lastly, you can try this link, which is a download of the Status Meter from Drop Box that is supplied by CORROSIVE, who is one of the trusted regulars here.  Make sure to click "No thanks, continue to view" at the bottom of the popup box.  The link on his website is here (version 6.7.0).  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

I tried the same on Safari and Firefox. This is the message:

"Your connection is not secure

The owner of download.statusmeter.hughesnet.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites"

It's the same for Safari. I don't like to use Chrome.

The download from Corrosive's Dropbox appears to be a Windows .exe file, which will not work on Mac.

Isn't there any way you can update the security validation for the OS version?

New Poster

Since doing that, downloading that .exe file, my usage for today in "History" says I've uploaded 1.6GB. I haven't uploaded anything today! Nothing! No files sent. No nothing. I haven't even used anything but emails and viewed Facebook for an hour tops. Something's fishy. I'm really feeling uneasy about this whole HughesNet thing. Please help.

@Buffsters

I apologize for not seeing that you had a Mac.  I downloaded the Mac version and uploaded it to DropBox for you.  The link to the file is here.  Like with the link to the incorrect file, you don't have to have an account with DropBox for this one.  

I'm sure that the reps will see this thread and address the certificate error with the files.  They may ask you some questions, of course.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  Being that they haven't yet replied, it will likely not be until at least Monday before one does, though once in a while there is one on during the weekend.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@Buffsters

Regarding the data usage, it's very likely that one or more of your devices are using data via automatic programs/apps that are uploading and/or downloading data.  Another possibility is that your devices have a spotty WiFi connection and data is being dropped, which necessitates it being resent, and therefore downloaded or uploaded again.  The former is more likely, but the latter does happen.  

Also, regarding the "daily replenishment of 'my' data" that you mentioned, please keep in mind that the initial relaxed bandwidth period, where your data replenishes on a regular basis, only lasts for your first twenty days of service.  After that your service goes to it's regular monthly reset of data.  This is unless you're in Alaska, where I believe the data is reset daily.  

Regarding the data usage, the best thing to do is go through your devices and lock down everything that can automatically use data.  Things like updates and the cloud can use a lot of data.  Connected satellite TV receivers can use a lot of data, as well, and even when you aren't actively watching anything On Demand.  Because of this, it's recommended that you do not connect a satellite TV receiver to HughesNet.  Devices like Chromecast can use data as well.  Background images constantly updating with those devices have hit a lot of people with high data usage.  

The following two threads may help, as well...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

New Poster

Thanks for getting back.

I'm well aware that the relaxed data use is only for 20 days. That's why I want to figure out why it seems like my usage is way over what any 10GB/month service will allow. I want to figure this out before I'm left with reduced speeds because I've shot through the data in days' time. I've shut down all auto updates on devices and desktop. But I am on an enclosed iOS system, which requires some back and forth. This is important for my work. Some cloud services, such as Adobe Creative Cloud are also important to my work. I've shut off all auto updates for them, but there is still Core processing that goes. But this does not seem to be the drain. It's basic internet functioning... occasional Facebook, but just doing this, I'm watching a meter move considerably every minute.

Thank you for the corrected DropBox file. I've downloaded it and will try and assess things with that, but I'm not happy with the online meter during this "relaxed bandwidth" period. It's really quite useless and with "History" it gives conflicting information with the chart versus the upload download amounts at the top of the page.

I've spent so much time since this was installed, scouring the internet for ways to reduce data use. SO much time!

My sense is that the modern world of free data has moved on from a place where a 10GB plan would be sufficient for anyone. So, your sales people need to be clear about that when talking to new customers.

@Buffsters

Please keep in mind that I'm not a HughesNet employee.  I'm just a fellow HughesNet customer trying to help as best I can until a rep steps in to help where I, or others, can't. 

Regarding the Usage history, it is quite basic and doesn't break it down in a way that's very helpful.  Also, just in case you aren't aware, the totals for each day are total data usage, not just usage for the Anytime or Bonus period.  Even if you don't have the Bonus Data showing, the total for each day will still include the Bonus Data usage, so it can make it look like the totals for each day are way off, and if you add up each day it can make it look even more off.  It's a little stupid for it to include the Bonus Data in the total when the Bonus Data is not selected to be shown, but knowing that can at least help it to make sense.     

I can tell you that, from the sounds of what you are needing the internet for, it's likely that the 10GB plan isn't going to be enough for you.  You'll really only truly know that once it starts tallying normally, but cloud uploads and downloads can use a LOT of data.  

Though I don't have a Mac, I can tell you that Facebook, which I'm on for at least four or five hours per day, though not always actively, has totalled up to about 400MB of usage since Nov 5th.  Granted, what one does on Facebook, and how active they are, will make it vary.  Make sure to have auto video playing turned off in Facebook.  It's also a good idea to install an ad blocker in your browser, if you don't already have one.  I don't know if you use one, but I use uBlock Origin.  It works very well, and it's available for Safari.   

And I completely understand the frustration with the salepeople.  Sometime they are wildly off with their estimation on what plan should be adequate for someone.  Smiley Sad