cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Usage

Please can someone help me we are new users to Hughesnet. We have signed up for the 50MB per month, we are into day 10 and apparently have used all of the 50MB. I am finding this hard to believe that we can use that much data. 2 adults, no gaming, TV is ROKU but not hooked to modem(WIFI only), we only watch TV from 7:00pm until 10:00 so that is approximately 30 hours (WIFI), we do not download movies or music. I have tried to talk with Technicians last month about this and as soon as I mentioned TV the tech said we don't provide data service for TV's. I then knew she had not a clue as to what I was talking about. Anyone out there with some suggestions or resolutions to this issue? Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Data Usage

Streaming HD TV can easily go through that much data in 10 days, let alone 30. Even if compressed to the maximum it is still probably using about 3-3.5GB per hour. A limited plan on satellite is not meant to be a cord cutter option for watching TV or movies for long periods. Watching 3 hours of HD TV per day is going to use a lot of data.

Just for info it is 50GB for your plan size, not MB.

Highlighted
New Poster

Well, I thought it was 50GB but under usage Hughesnet has 50MB.

So even if my television is not connected to the internet it is still using up my internet data, am I understanding that correctly? 

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

If your TV is connected to the WiFi on the modem then it is connected to the internet. The Roku is getting the TV from the internet unless you have it connected to an outside antenna, satellite TV, or cable TV. It has to get the video from someplace and that would be the internet over the WiFi unless you have it connected to something else providing a signal.

We have a Roku TV but it is connected to an outside antenna for local broadcast stations. I have it set to use the antenna for TV signals unless I choose to use the built in Roku streaming service over internet, which sounds like you are using.

I hope I've explained it clearly.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@KBL wrote:

Well, I thought it was 50GB but under usage Hughesnet has 50MB.

Can you take a snapshot of the page you're seeing this on and post it in a reply.  Something doesn't sound right.  There are no 50MB HughesNet plans, so if it's showing this as your plan data something isn't right. 

Also, with you only being 10 days into your service you shouldn't be running out of data.  For the first twenty days of service customers are in what's known as a "relaxed bandwidth state", meaning the data allotment is constantly reset during this time (the data is replenished).  They do this as a courtesy in order to allow new customers to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment, as doing those things can use a good deal of data, especially if the devices haven't been online for a long time.  If you're running out of data, either they've done away with the relaxed bandwidth time, or something is wrong.  And if you're seeing 50MB, instead of 50GB or some other GB amount, as your plan data, I think something is wrong.  

Also, regarding the Roku, keep in mind that streaming is one of the most data intensive activities there is.  You said you watch Roku from 7:00PM to 10:00PM, which is three hours.  If you watch this every day, that's 90-93 hours per month.  I can't find straightforward info regarding Roku's data usage, but I did find a site that showed their bit rate override.  It shows the top bit rate being 3.5Mbps, which would use about 1.6GB per hour.  So, depending on the bit rate you have your Roku streaming set on, it could use nearly 5GB per three hour streaming session.  On a 50GB plan that's around ten days.  That may be just a coincidence regarding your current data issue, though, as you on day ten you should still be in the relaxed bandwidth period.  And that's 50MB data allotment is, again, very odd.  

I'm going to tag a couple of reps so that someone from HughesNet may be able to shed some light on what's going on.  

@Liz

@Amanda

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

@GabeU, OP said "I have tried to talk with Technicians last month about this". I think that would mean past the 20 day mark and into 10 days on new month or 10 days after the 20 day mark. Don't sure what was meant by the 50MB thing but most likely looking at something wrong.

Then again, maybe I'm the one who's wrong.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

"I thought it was 50GB but under usage Hughesnet has 50MB."

That would mean you have used 50MB, not that your data limit is 50MB.  Where are you seeing this?  Meter?

Highlighted

Hi!

Thanks for posting! Welcome, glad to see the community jump in to help you. Just wanted to clarify what you're probably seeing in the Usage Meter:

While the Usage Meter in the Support Center does show your data in MB, you have a lot more than 50 MB allotted to you each month. As you can see above, you have 50000 MB at your disposal every month. 50000 MB = 50 GB

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

@GabeU, OP said "I have tried to talk with Technicians last month about this". I think that would mean past the 20 day mark and into 10 days on new month or 10 days after the 20 day mark. Don't sure what was meant by the 50MB thing but most likely looking at something wrong.

Then again, maybe I'm the one who's wrong.  Smiley Wink

Yeah, I missed that.  Smiley Sad

And I see from Liz's pic why the OP may have thought it was 50MB.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi KBL, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.