cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data loss

New Poster

Data loss

As if my slow speeds weren't enough.  I have had this system set up for 24 days now.  After 20 of the days, my usage meter stated I still had 19.1MB remaining.  I check my usage meter this morning and I have 4.2MB remaining.  How in the world did I lose almost 15MB in 4 days???? 

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Data loss

@Billy_Ray

During your first twenty days of service you are in what's called a "relaxed bandwidth" state, which means your data is constantly refilled during this time.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy to allow people to bring their devices current, whether by updates or upgrades, without it affecting what would normally be their monthly data allotment.  The relaxed bandwidth period is mentioned in the Welcome email from HughesNet.  

Chances are you were using just as much data during that time, but because it kept refiling you weren't aware of it.  

The most data intensive things are streaming and video games.  Connected satellite TV receives may also chew through data, even when you aren't actively watching anything On Demand, including when they are off, as they aren't really off, but in standby.  Video game consoles themselves can do the same.  

The following thread may help...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

??OK GabeU...you are a company hack...I made a huge mistake in going with Hughesnet...Everything has been so screwed...In my 52 years of life I have never experienced a company so screwed up as this...But it appears I am stuck with you guys for the next 2 years...Is there anything positive in this secnario

Hi Billy Ray

Data is used by doing anything on the internet, even browsing or uploading a photo. It is a bit difficult to answer your question on what the data was used for, but we might be able to round up an idea based on what kinds of devices are on the home network and what the internet is used for in your home. Other information like how many people are using the internet in the home, how many devices does each person have, etc are also good to know.

But... I am not sure the reason for that comment against GabeU (a great volunteer here) - his reply is genuine and true. Every new customer receives a welcome e-mail from us explaining the relaxed bandwidth period and why we have it. In addition to your other comments they don't really make clear to me what other concerns you have about us, so I will need to know more to be able to help you.

`Amanda

New Poster

I spoke to support over the phone and they were able to find what device was eating my data.  It was my desktop wi-fi.  Don't know why or how it was eating data so fast.  I have since turned off my desktop wi-fi and changed all of my passwords on every device.  I don't use my computer for much.  I don't do games and I can't stream netflix or anything else over my firestick due to the slow speeds and constant buffering.  As far as GabeU, I do apologize for being honry.  I have seen him on many discussions.  If he is a volunteer, man do you guys have a keeper.  As for my data, I don't know how this works but it says that my next cycle is the fourth which is today.  is it on the fourth or through the fourth.  First month on this so there be a slight learning curve. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@Billy_Ray

With it saying the 4th it should be today, but you can verify it by looking at the HughesNet Usage Meter or by signing in to the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on the Usage tab.  With that said, sometimes the wording can be a little odd, as in today it says I have one more day in my billing cycle, whereas my new bill was actually generated today, as they are on the 4th every month for me, and my data itself actually resets in one day, as it does on the 5th of every month.  Not sure why it's like that, nor if the billing and data resets are a day apart like that for everyone, but at least with the data you can see in those two places when it will reset.  So, again, in these two pictures, at least for me, "billing cycle" really refers to when my data will reset (tomorrow), so it should say "data cycle".  And, yes, I'm a volunteer.  I'm a customer, like you.  I don't work for Hughes. 

Capture.JPGShould say data cycle.Capture1.JPGShould say data cycle. 

Edit:  And I should mention that the discrepency in the percentage of data remaining between the Usage Meter picture and the Usage tab picture is due to the Usage Meter basically rounding down for the percentage and the Usage tab rounding up.  It doesn't round your actual data remaining, as in I have 4561MB remaining either way, they just present your percentage of data remaining in a somewhat different way.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit