cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

idaearle

Data usage

I've been with HughesNet since October/November of last year.  The first several months was great - no issues but starting last month I was less than half way through the billing cycle and I'd already used 90% of my 50GB of data - 45GB data used in 13 days?  Our usage at home was not anything out of the ordinary and no one was parked in the road using my connection.  This month I've been turning off wifi whenever I'm not at my computer so only phones are connected but there are 3 days left of my billing cycle and I'm close - very close - to running out of data again.  Customer support tried to help but they have no explanation other than changing my router password because someone might be using it....but there's no chance of that.  Any ideas what's using all this data?
9 REPLIES 9
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: Data usage

First step would be to eliminate the router entirely until you figure out what is happening. One computer connected directly to the modem. Have you run virus and malware scans?
billmiller43

My Mac utility shows that facebook is a data hog, as well as the hughesnet page. I use the 5/50gb plan, and never come close to running out. Windows users have said it runs tasks in the background checking for updates, etc. Also Google does lots of tracking. I threw my PC's into the trash ten years ago and never looked back. Your pc is always having to verify every process isn't a virus or malware. You spend more time checking for anti-virus updates etc. than anything. In OS X I just tap the space bar to wake it up, and go. When done, click "Sleep. As a retired project leader and systems analyst I said when the first IBM XT came out the design was not secure, and now over 30 years later, it still is not secure. Apple is being sued because the FBI can't crack their security! :<)
mrsunclej

I was totally lied to by customer service, I was told I had unlimited data, but it would slow down after i used 60. Now that I finally figured out how to find the dashboard it says I have a total of 60 and it slows down after 10!!!! I am very unhappy, watched 1 movie and two 1 hour tv shows and now it runs 5 minutes and buffers for 10 on my smart tv, I am pissed!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

mrsuncle,

Lied to or misunderstood ?

There is world of difference ... only a review of your sale call will tell the difference.

I have been a Hughes subscriber for 12 years and in that time Hughesnet has always been a defined data capped service.

Presently all new plans on all Hughes platforms have a "daytime usage period" known as Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am local) and a "night time usage period" know as Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am local)

You will draw data from one source or the other depending on the time of day/night.

There is a third "data source" that may be available to you and that is "Token Bytes Available".

Token Bytes are blocks of data that you may purchase or you may receive from the result of Tech Support effort.

Tokens are used to maintain your speed during the Anytime time period if you have depleted your allowance.

Hughes has ALWAYS had CAPS, it has ALWAYS had USAGE PERIODS ... ALWAYS.

It is a capped service. Once you exceed your allowance for a period your speed is either greatly reduced or some plans have a "SmartBrowse" feature that allows normal speeds for "low data draw" activity.

You never really have your service "shut off" but then again unlike many capped cellular plans you never are hit with any "overage fees" either.

The decision to purchase Tokens at extra cost is totally up to the subscriber and is never added automatically.

You can also check your status in the Modems internal SCC (System Control Center) that can be found by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser.

Here is  graphic I have prepared the explains the two "data buckets", three really if you have "token data" available.

(click on the picture for larger image)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also best to start your own post with a previous case number if you would like individualized help. Streaming movies or TV in HD can use 3 GB per hour, even more.
Amanda

Hi MrsUncleJ

We're forking your post to better assist you.

Thanks!
Amanda

Please reference the new conversation here: i was told i had unlimited data......
Liz

Good morning idaearle,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Glad to see our community members have stepped up to offer you help. As BirdDog suggested, best thing to start with is isolating your computer and running malware scans. This way we can ensure there isn't a virus that's using your connection without your knowledge. 

We can't tell what is using your data, but you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it:https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

idaearle

I did the steps suggested above last month when my usage intially went crazy.  I'm not sure though how to do these steps w/equipment other than pc's or laptops (like phones, xbox etc).  All that was checked was fine so I still don't know what's causing the drain on usage.  Today is my last day of my month and I have used 48.6 GB out of 50!! There is no earthly reason why we should be using 50GB data/month and we didn't for the first 4 months being with Hughes Net so something has changed.  I'll explore the www.glasswire.com and see if I can pinpoint what's happening and on what equipment.
Liz

Glasswire will only show you data usage on the computer it's installed on, so I would start with one computer/laptop first and observing what connects from that device. As far as checking usage on cellphones, you could download a data usage monitoring app. I haven't seen any that's similar to GlassWire, which identifies specific apps and tells you how much data they use. The only apps I've noticed tell you total data amounts your phone uses, at the very least you'll know how much each phone is downloading.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.