cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used when no devices connected to modem

Freshman

Re: Data used when no devices connected to modem

I did that today, but I still haven't connected any device to Hughes modem.

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the community! I'm glad to see our seasoned posters have hopped in to assist you. I can understand how you feel trying to figure out what's going on with your data, it's like doing detective work. While we can't tell you what used your data in the past, moving forward, you can use 3rd party tools to track your data. Our long time community members have used and suggested GlassWire. There may be other options available to suit your preferences. Feel free to ask the community for their suggestions and advice on data monitoring.

As maratsade initially mentioned, we'd need the screenshots from the steps linked in the post. The purpose is to show proof that the HughesNet modem is the source of the unidentified data usage. If there's proof, I have no problem sending it to engineering for their help.

I see your 5Ghz network is the only one enabled right now; as Gabe suggested, disable it before you perform the illustrated troubleshooting steps to eliminate the possibility of anything connecting to wifi.

To further assist you, I'll send you a private message shortly with additional information.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Freshman

Yes, I am frustrated beyond belief.  What you're wanting me to do is download Glasswire to monitor data from devices that are not even connected to the modem, is that correct?  Ok, fine.  If someone can explain this one simple question it would be greatly appreciated.  Can you see how much bonus data I have used in the past 10 days (1 MB)?  Does it not seem odd that I supposedly have devices connected to Hughes (which I don't) that apparently use my service data but magically from 2am-8am it has miraculously used only 1MB while my service plan data has used 2658MB.  BTW, that is an increase of 344MB used with no devices connected.  The previous amount was 2314MB.  Also, how do you determine that the LAN and wireless has been disconnected or turned off?  

Distinguished Professor IV

@KenS wrote:

What you're wanting me to do is download Glasswire to monitor data from devices that are not even connected to the modem, is that correct?  

No, but it can help with things like this... "On the phone with customer service to upgrade my plan and while connected my data usage was being used when doing absolutely nothing on my desktop."  It will be able to tell you what data your desktop uses.  

@KenS wrote:

Also, how do you determine that the LAN and wireless has been disconnected or turned off?  

When the WiFi is successfully disabled you'll see a State Code at the top of the following page indicating such...  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

It will look like this.... 

Capture.JPG

For the LAN cable, just visually confirm that there is no LAN cable connected to the back of the HT2000W modem.  All four ports should be open.  

Edit:  Just so there is no confusion, and I'm not insinuating anything by stating that...

1.  Disable the WiFi, and ensure it's disabled by looking on the page shown above.

2.  Take a snapshot of the HughesNet Usage Meter.  I even move the meter to the lower right corner of my desktop to make sure that I also get the clock in the snapshot.  

3.  Immediately after taking the snapshot disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  Also note the time (especially if it's not in the picture).  

4.  Let the modem sit for several hours.  Overnight is good, and that way it would also include both the Anytime and Bonus time periods.

5.  Note the time, reconnect the LAN cable, then open the Usage Meter and take a snapshot.  Including the clock would again be good.  

6.  Then post the snapshots and any pertinent info, like times of disconnect and reconnect if they aren't in the snapshots. 

The reps can reconcile the time of the snapshots with what they see in your modem history, as they'll be able to see when your LAN cable was disconnected, then reconnected.  Because of this, it's best to NOT unplug the modem until after they've had time to review the test results, as unplugging the modem will wipe out the modem logs.    

Edit 2:  If you're asking how HughesNet will be able to determine that the WiFi has been disabled and the LAN cable disconnected, it's through the aforementioned modem logs, so again, please don't unplug the modem.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

I appreciate the help and the info so let me say that first.  With that being said, does Glasswire give you a better status of data usage than Windows task manager.  And what app do you use for your phone?  I had closed out all apps and it was still sucking the data. 

About the modem history.  Since I don't have anything connected to the modem (except to disable the 5Ghz Wi-fi) I don't have the status meter, but I log into my account and look at the data usage tab.  I also unplugged and plugged the modem in yesterday from advice by maratsade.  My last data used was 2659MB at 2230 last night and that was after connecting and disconnecting the LAN to disable the 5Ghz.  I am still confused though.  If by chance there is something lurking around using up my data, which I assume is the reason to disconnect the wireless and LAN (joke) why has it only used 1MB of bonus data.  Why is there such a disparity between service data and bonus data usage? 

Usage.PNG

Distinguished Professor I

I think right now the best you can do is what Gabe suggested -- get the screenshots.  Please realise that you will not be able to move forward with your ticket/support request until you perform the required steps. I understand that all of this may mean nothing to you, but you really need to know what's draining your data, and Gabe has told you how to begin troubleshooting that so the reps then can take over and check diagnostics on their side, or involve the engineers.  The screenshots are a required part of the process. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Spectator

This is an interesting thread. We have things connected and do not use streaming at all. But we've used up our data with one week left which has happened when uploading huge work files. BUT The history usage shows we used on July 17 12.3 G when no one was home! Hughesnet could only tell me what hours 11 am to 4 pm it happened but nothing else! I want to know what device (because I can see what devices are hooked up now so why not a couple weeks ago?) and was the issue uploading or downloading and what. I know I want it all!!!

Should I keep calling til I get a real techy? The only info I can get on my end hourly is the currenty 24 hours. Isn't there a record somewhere? 

Hughesnet basically told me they could not help me any further and in 3 days I'd have more data anyway. And to check my usage each day to see how much I use checking email, uploading work files (which are never more than 1 G ever), checking Instagram. They did add 2 G to the next 3 days. Yes I'm thankful! But what if this is a new regular occurance? 

Spectator

Could this be a reason I had data usage of 12.3 G in one day? Modem upgrade stuck ? 

Distinguished Professor I

I suggest you stick around here and run the same tests that were suggested to the other user.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Assistant Professor

@r-bkmhn wrote:

Could this be a reason I had data usage of 12.3 G in one day? Modem upgrade stuck ? 

That sounds more like someone downloaded a game or a couple of HD on-demand movies remotely.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.