Thought I would share the declining download speeds we have been experiencing. Since February speeds have declined. Assuming it is the increase in traffic due to Covid. At first the time of day played a part about 10:00 A.M. EST the connectivity was terrible, and latency is off the chart. Now just reading emails with Outlook or using the webmail has become impossible. Outlook appears to be timing out and at times Hughes web email sign-in fails. The results below are from Test My Net. Granted many downloads are not 25mb as required but the point is speeds and connectivity are terrible. Have connected directly to the Hughes modem and through a router with basically the same results. Run the Hughes system control center tests- all returns good with the modem HT 2000W (Gen 5). Have restarted Hughes modem with no improvement.
Have run M/S diagnostics and repair on Outlook with no improvement.
Are other users experiencing the same issues?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have been a Hughes user for many years and understand the basic ins and outs of using Hughes.
When you're experiencing problems, are there any associated state codes?
I would suggest that you run the speed tests as required (including the required file sizes), so the HN reps here can send the data to the techs.
Had not checked State Codes since the Hughes SCC showed everything green. Code states problem receiving data. Have no clue what ot do with that message.
Nine of the speed tests are 25 mb download tests what is the required amount? Will fulfill requirement.
Given your state codes (some of which may actually be transitory) I'd wait until the HN reps can run remote diagnostics on your equipment tomorrow and see if they see something else from their side.
Thank you for posting, I've pulled up your account to run diagnostics on your site and everything looks great, green all across the board.
Aside from trying to access webmail, is general web browsing challenging? Is it all sites or certain ones?
"Did notice one item on Test my net- a floating bar appears every few seconds flashing "no connection " then will disappear after showing "connected ". "
This happens when internet latency and system congestion are very high, and when your speed is low. Testmy interprets this as an internet disconnection (so does Google drive and icloud.com).
You're welcome, Richard.
Regarding email, please double-check your Outlook settings, you can try these settings and let me know if they make a difference:
Inbound Server: mail.hughes.net
Outbound Server: email.hughes.net
Port 587 try with SSL
Have been using :
SPA box not checked
Outgoing server (STMP) requires authentication - box is checked
Tried suggested changes Outlook returns error message "Something went wrong" try again later.
Received this message when trying suggested settings and when returning settings to original settings - guessing it is a timing out issue.
Will try later tonight when traffic is less.
Change the ports as follows:
Edit: had them switched initially
Just did a send/receive test and those ports work for mail.hughes.net (in) and smtp.hughes.net (out) as long as SSL is switched on for both.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Not sure why but your suggestions and Liz's suggestion are not being accepted by Outlook - receive " try again later message".
Tried this A.M. to access Hughes Mail with outlook and received the following error message which is typical. Also trying to reinstall Outlook to see if that resolves issue - taking forever with slow download speeds.
If you're able to lower the TLS version to something prior to 1.3 that might do the trick. I understand the mail servers might be having problems with v1.3.
Another thought: I gave you the ports for POP (where you basically download the emails to a local database). Are you using IMAP (where the emails stay on the server)? If so, the ports IMAP uses would be different than the ones I gave, which also may be part of the confusion. IMAP is much, much slower than POP, so I just assume everyone uses that.
Liz might know the ports for IMAP, as I don't have them handy.
Thanks for the update Richard3, I've just escalated this to our e-mail admins to dig into that error. I've also requested a reference for e-mail settings since I've been needing that often lately, and there currently is none. I'll keep you posted.
I'm thinking the 993 might have been originally correct for incoming IMAP, which means it may have either been a TLS or a timeout issue.
Use IMAP accounts - should have stated that -sorry.
Just looked at settings on laptop we use, different rom the desktop (also different email address).
box checked for authentication
Not sure when these settings changed - was not what originally was setup but seems to work. Assume some type of update changed settings.
Did try these settings on desktop - didn't work. Not clear why they don't work.
Also tried to find the settings in the help section - could not locate.
Did run into an interesting error message while trying to use the web mail with IE 11- new web mail states IE 11 not supported.
GMTA, Richard, I also previously checked the Help section in webmail, but no settings provided there. Once I hear back from the e-mail folks about that I'll let you know.
That is also correct, it's suggested to use a more current browser with webmail.
Lol, I block anything with MSIE in the user agent from accessing my site, because I automatically assume it's a bot.
Thanks for your patience, here's the info from our e-mail admins:
For your e-mail settings these should work, and whatever your client auto configures for the rest should be fine:
Then here are common ways to fix the error 0x800ccc0f:
1. Check for connectivity issues.
2. Disable anti-virus and Windows firewall.
3. Enable Server (SMTP) authentication from mail client settings
4. Reinstall / Repair Outlook client
5. Check mail server settings (Inbound / Outbound server settings)
Please let me know if any of this helps.