Hughesnet Community

Did anyone have any problems with the Nov 8th Windows 10 updates?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Did anyone have any problems with the Nov 8th Windows 10 updates?

I tried three times to update my desktop with the Nov 8th updates, but all three times the three parts failed to install.  I then tried my laptop and the same thing happened, twice.  I finally manually downloaded the individual files, with the Malicious Software Tool coming directly from the Microsoft site and the Flash Player and Cumulative Update coming from the Update Catalog. 

For some odd reason, the Flash Player update file said it was 20.3MB in size, and it showed that while downloading, but the download "completed" after 3.4MB.  I manually installed the Malicious Software tool and it ran.  I then went to run the Flash Player update, but it failed, of course, due to the file not being complete.  I then downloaded it again, and it fully downloaded this time.  I then installed it and it went fine.  I installed the cumulative update and everything worked fine with that.  I then restarted, rechecked for updates, and everything was good. 

I was getting ready to copy the three manually downloaded files onto a flash drive so I could install them on my laptop, but decided to try the updates with Windows Update on the laptop one more time before manually installing them.  This time it worked.  Hmm. 

I wonder if the problem all along was that something was going goofy with the Microsoft servers and it wouldn't let the updates download properly when trying to update through Windows Update.  Then, by the time I manually downloaded the Flash player update the second time and it worked, whatever was going on was fixed. 

This is the first time I have experienced any problems like this with a Windows 10 update. 

The Flash Player update really threw me.  Whenever I've had a file not fully download in the past, it would show as an error and I would know there was a problem before ever trying to use the file.  This time, after the 3.4MB download, it showed as truly complete, with no errors, and it only showed errors when I tried to use it.  Very odd.    

12 REPLIES 12
Amanda

Interesting... we have Windows 10 in the lab hooked up to a Gen4 HT1100. I will try to put some time aside today to go in there and see if the update works for me or not.

Thanks
Amanda
maratsade

GabeU, my WinX laptop just updated and the whole thing went just fine, with no glitches.
GabeU

Ah.  That's good to know.  I don't see any responses as to any problems, so it must have been just me.  LOL. 

Also, yes, you did receive an email saying I had left a different response and subsequently deleted it.  I read it wrong and thought it said XP, not X.  I need another coffee.  Heh heh.   

maratsade

LOL, Gabe. 
GW
Advanced Tutor

We have two notebooks on Win 10 metered connection. I just checked both of them and they haven't wanted any updates this month. One took updates 10/22 and the other 10/29. They're set to feed off each other.
GabeU

Interesting.  Is this with manually checking for updates, as well? 
GW
Advanced Tutor

No. W10 checks for itself. One computer checked last night, the other checked 11/7.
GabeU

Hmm.  It was released on the 8th, so last night's check should have caught it. 

I have seen, though, where my computer has automatically checked for updates when I know there is some and it shows nothing.  I then check manually and it finds them.  In fact, this last time that happened.  It checked when I started the computer, didn't find what I know was there, and then found it after I manually checked.  It wouldn't surprise me if you initiated a manual search it would find the updates. 

GW
Advanced Tutor

Really, I don't care about making them find updates. One is my emergency backup computer and the other is my wife's. Although both are always on and working, neither one gets much use. If and when these computers find updates and wants them, I start the metered connection downloads but I've noticed if I don't start the download expediently enough to suit this prick of an OS, it downloads them anyway all by itself.

I've also noticed these two very similar computers running the exact same W10 version choose different updates at different times. I guess this may be a function of them eating their own.
GabeU

I just installed Windows 8.1 on my notebook (too slow to run Windows 10 very well) and Windows 7 (so I could play some old games) on an old computer and it was nice to be able to set them to not automatically download or install a thing.  LOL.  
GW
Advanced Tutor

Yes, I just checked here on my main computer (W7) and it last had updates on 10/12 and as of the 4:13 PM today check, there are two waiting in queue for download. One is the stinking new monthly rollup of 134 MB published 11/9.

Funny I haven't seen the WU nag popup yet.
GabeU

Ah.  Enjoy!  J/K.  LOL.

Smart thinking to share the updates, too.  I'm sure that cuts down a bit on the data usage.