Disappearing Data with machines turned off

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlissfulinAZ
New Poster

Disappearing Data with machines turned off

How is it possible that.. with both computers turned off, and nobody home.. we lost nearly 3GB of our monthly allowance of 20GB in a single day..?? And, 2 days later, lost another 2GB. So, in 2 days, we lost 25% of our 30 day allowance.  We don't use WiFi for our phones (turned off), and have no "smart" appliances of any type.. So, exactly where did these 5GB of data disappear to?  It has caused us to begin to shut down the WiFi system during the day when we seem to be losing the most "anytime data".. and no one is using the computers... Any thoughts..??

10 REPLIES 10
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hello @BlissfulinAZ,

One thing that comes to mind is that "off" may not truly be totally off. I can think of three different states of off.

Another thought is router/wireless "security" and setup

Are you using your own router of do you have the Gen5 2000w WiFi router?

In any case have you assessed the following?

> Router GUI log in username and password changed from the default ? <

> Strong level of wireless encryption enabled on all frequencies ? <

> Guest Accounts disabled for both 2.4 and 5.0 ghz? <

> WPS disabled? <

> Remote Access disabled? <

> Available internal router "services" disabled/reviiewed? <

I would suggest running a Modem Isolation Test but remember to turn off the WiFi function if using the HughesNet HT2000w Modem.

I also suggest that you read the following topic and give serious consideration to getting a personal Router that has data tracking capacity.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Trying to find the right place to let all the people know that several 100 7000 series modems, some 9000 and maybe even some Gen 5s are self downloading and Hughes NOC and engineers have not been able to address the phenomena.  This started as early as a year ago, and got worse in January.   Hundreds of people have disconnected the router from the modem and then watched the tx and rx continue to indicate usage, and after an hour or so plugged it back in and all data is gone.

Hughes NOC and tech support continue to say that they've never heard of the problem; that a customer is the first call ever - even though there is a record of the same customer calling many times.  They are passing out free tokens to many people over the issue - especially ones who have called the government agencies regarding the issue.

Harder to shut down the wifi on Gen 5s, but we have on a couple and seems the problem may be on a couple of those as well.

So the body of this thread seems to negate the actuality of those several hundred modems.  Hopefully Hughes NOC can get it straight and train ALL the  people in teling the actuality of the situation.  Some do tell the truth, most tell some version of a non truth when faced with this issue.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@Seaport

@Seaport wrote:

Trying to find the right place to let all the people know that several 100 7000 series modems, some 9000 and maybe even some Gen 5s are self downloading and Hughes NOC and engineers have not been able to address the phenomena.  This started as early as a year ago, and got worse in January.   Hundreds of people have disconnected the router from the modem and then watched the tx and rx continue to indicate usage, and after an hour or so plugged it back in and all data is gone.

I say hogwash!

There is no substance to the "data used from behind the grassy knoll" theory.

I'm afraid your "sources" have led you down the path.

Activity by the RX/TX LED's is to be expected because the modem is in constant communication with the Gateway as long as the modem is powered up, the system properly aimed and assuming no weather conditions are present.

You have to understand the concept of "command & control". While C&C activity may be visible via the Modem LED's, C&C is NOT charged against a user data allotment.

Quoting from my own topic:

Every bit and byte of data has to run through the modem.

This useage is in three forms ......

>Data used by the modem itself in the form of "Command & Control" otherwise known as Overhead<

>Data used in the re-transmission of your data due to failing equipment<

>Data used by YOUR devices connected to the Modems LAN port<

There are procedures, processes and tools to assess and address each of these.

It is important to note that the Modem must remain powered up for the Hughes Loop to remain intact, that all internal Modem logs are retained so the forum Mods are able to use the data to support your issue and that all useage and history meters are updated as of the last modem "sync cycle" with the Gateway.

Taking them one by one:

>Data used by the modem itself in the form of "Command & Control" otherwise known as Overhead<

If you believe you are losing data the first step is a Modem Isolation Test:

RackMultipart20151130-6485-1yyx8cx-datahog2_inline.jpg

The steps are straight forward:

#1: Take a sceenshot of the Status Meter

#2: Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the rear of the Modem

NOTE: If you have a HT2000w Wifi Modem the wireless "radios" must be disabled. This is done to insure that all connection paths are severed and the the Modem is truely isolated from everything except the Gateway

#3: Note the exact time of disconnect

#4: Wait a period of time. Perhaps overnight

#5: Reconnect the Ethernet cable (and re-enable radios if using a HT2000w wifi modem

#6: Take another screenshot of the Status Meter

#7: Note the exact time of reconnection

#8: Assess the results:

If more than a minor amount of data was used, start a new topic here in the Community and post your disconnect/reconnect screenshots along with times of each. Leave your Modem powered up to preserve the modem logs and the forum Mods will address your issue.

This will address any "rogue" modem issues, the first of the three items listed at the begining of this post

Next we have:

>Data used in the re-transmission of your data due to failing equipment<

For this we need to start a topic and tag one of the Mods and ask that they run remote diagnostics on your system.

It is possible for data that you have sent or requested to have to be retransmitted thereby using excess data. This can be due to failing modem/transmitter or poor aim among other things.

That will prove or disprove very quickly if data is being used by the "system".

That leaves data used by something within the users network.

I suggest you read this topic:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

There is no data being used from behind the grassy knoll.

There can be poor aim and failing equipment issues, easily proved.

Without data, its just another opinion.

Collect the data, post the documentation.

Seaport,

I notice that you are using your showroom account to post here. We recommend that you post any theories and/or provide proof to your dealer/installer specific community. Our corporate office is already working with a dealer in Alaska to get to the bottom of the complaints, which we have involved our engineers in but to this day have no solid proof any of the above mentioned is actually happening. To avoid confusion, if you have any proof you would like to provide, please reach out to your internal contact at Hughes. 

Thank you

Amanda

We've recently upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5. That's when the "issue" began.  The new Gen5 Modem/Router is self contained, so there is no unplugging the Lan cable for an isolation check. (re: no LAN cable). Guest accounts disabled; encryption secured; password changed. Our current solution of unplugging the equipment and powering off both computers seems to have provided a temporary solution to the data loss at present; but our antivirus software, and others are not happy about that solution..     (not so)BlissfulinAZ

Unplugging the Ethernet cable will of course isolate your wired devices. You can turn off the Modems "radios" from within the Modems user interface.

The fact that you eliminate the problem by powering down everthing supports the contention that the data is being used by something on your network.

Quote from my post:

"NOTE: If you have a HT2000w Wifi Modem the wireless "radios" must be disabled. This is done to insure that all connection paths are severed and the the Modem is truely isolated from everything except the Gateway"

You want better control?

Install a Router that supports the tracking of data per device.

My Asus RT-AC3100 lists every device, usage by every application per device as well as the time the usage occured.

8-28-17. 002.JPG8-29-17 002.JPG

@michele_moore

No data was used during the period.

8/28: 34.4 GB of Token Bytes remaining: 49.4 GB of Bonus Bytes remaining

8/29: 34.4 GB of Token Bytes still remain: 49.4 GB of Bonus Bytes still remaining

NOTE!  I did not disconnect the ETHERNET CABLE,  I just shut down my computer.  I will redo

test tonight. sorry.