cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonest practices

Nancy Perrone

Dishonest practices

I ordered Hughesnet as I am moving to a rural area. I had a very nice agent who took my order and was very iinformative. His agent number is 14078. However, it was not until I was going through my notes I had taken while speaking with him that I noticed that he said I had free standard installation, however, I was charged $99 for an activation fee, which was confirmed by agent #282639 to be an installation fee. Upon further reading, I noticed that my cost for the package was to be $49.99 per month, however, I was charged 59.98. I asked agent #282639 about the discrepency and she told me it was a monthly modem fee. Not at any time was I told about a modem fee. I felt like this was all very dishonest and not what was advertised or explained to me. I got a case number 101457143 regarding my complaint. Agent 282639 also authorized a $10 off my first three months bills, however, I was charged and already paid the first month and the "activation fee." I urge all consumers to be aware of these practices. I feel ripped off.
9 REPLIES 9
abbie911

Re: Dishonest practices

You were
Chris11
Alum

Hello Nancy,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I can certainly understand your frustration. I'm sorry if this has been an awful experience. Luckily you are in the right place. Your case number will allow me to locate your account and investigate. We'll also have a sales call review done. Depending on the results you may have recourse. I will update you once I have more info. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Nancy,

I just received your sale call review results. Not sure if there may have been some confusion, however after listening to it. All pricing and billing was clearly laid out and accepted by you. 

The agent explained that you would be getting free installation and stated it would be $49.99 for the Choice plan and with the Lease fee it would be $59.98 and just a one-time $99 fee to get the account activated. (FYI, install and activation are two different charges.)

When collecting the payment method, you and the agent confirmed that your card would be charged $158.98, which included the $99 upfront fee and first months charge.

You then gave consent to add Express Repair to the account. Which cost $7 a month. None of what was reviewed outside of that was misleading either. I hope this clears it up.

- Chris

Nancy Perrone

I disagree.  The second agent I spoke to clearly told me that the "activation fee" was for the installation.  I have read all of the reviews on Hughesnet and there is not one good one.  Not everyone can be wrong.  I have also asked all of the people that I have come in contact with in the area and the answer is the same.  Shame on Hughesnet for taking advantage of people.  I am sorry that you and one other provider are the only ones available to me.  Should I find another, I will cancel in a heartbeat before my installation date.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The $99 activation fee is something everyone pays and a fee that you were told about.  Whether a phone rep mistakenly calls it an installation fee doesn't negate the fact that everyone pays a $99 activation fee. 

Hughesnet it no way took advantage of you. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I have read all of the reviews on Hughesnet and there is not one good one.  Not everyone can be wrong."

You have missed my reviews and reviews by many other customers here who consistently rank the service very highly. Even the FCC has ranked the service very highly. No company can please everybody, and people who are disgruntled are more vocal, which tends to skew perceptions. 

That said, I'm sorry you have gone through this negative experience and you are entitled to be upset, because it stinks when you feel cheated. Maybe Hughesnet can find your second call? People do make mistakes, and if they can find your second call (I think all calls are recorded, but I may be wrong), they may be able to do something about it that could benefit you.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Nancy,

Second agent? The call that we pulled up is also the call when you authorized purchase and subscription to the service. All of the information presented was correct. So I am not sure if you were given misinformation in another call. We only keep recordings of sales that completed. This one however was done correctly. We listened ourselves. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Chris
Nancy Perrone

I am calling you a liar.  The second agent's name was Jasmine and she told me that the "activation fee" was for installation.  I am cancelling this service immediately before it even gets started. Hughesnet is a dishonest company and I stand by what I was told!
Chris11
Alum

Hello Nancy,

We have no reason to lie. You can search around this community. When we do a sales call it is thorough. Anytime that we are at fault, we'll say so and do whatever is necessary to resolve the situation. If you feel the service is not working for you, that is completely fine. Cancelling is always up to you. I hope everything goes well with your next ISP.

Thanks,
Chris