Hughesnet Community

Do most customers experience VERY slow download speeds during the day, with acceptable off-peak spee

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DebiS
Sophomore

Do most customers experience VERY slow download speeds during the day, with acceptable off-peak spee

I am a new Hughesnet customer and was frustrated to find out my download speeds during normal hours is only a fraction of the stated 25Mbps. I spent a couple of days with tech support with them trying to determine the problem, only to have one finally crash the modem. Fortunately the next day again with support I got back online and started doing download speed testing with 25Mb packets as suggested. My speeds during early morning hours is wonderful 10 to 35Mbps. But as the day approaches 7 and 8 am speeds significantly slow and eventually become dismal. As low as 562kb. Testing conditions during the various times are identical with signal strength for my modem ranging from 119 to 135. Speed test can be seen via https://testmy.net/quickstats/DebiStritzke So what is up?
13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Speeds vary depending on many things, including traffic on the network and internet traffic in general, websites you visit and what they have on them (media eats up data and slows down downloads), and more. 

During times of high congestion, speeds are reduced (sometimes by a lot) by so many people using the network.  Speeds tend to be fine in the early morning, and during the day, as more and more people hop on, they get worse. 

I understand why it slows down based on what sites I might visit and others competing for the bandwidth. However during daylight hours I am consistently only getting 1/20 to 1/50th of the advertised speed which means waiting for simple webpages to load. This almost seems like advertisement or over sales. If I was getting 1/3 to 1/2 with an occasional 1/4 the download speed I would find it acceptable. I formally used viasat however with their newer technology the newer satellite is positioned where I can not get clearance due to a hill. My download speeds normally ran 50 to 120% of the advertised. Are other longer term Hughesnet customers happy with their internet performance?

I'm not happy with Hughes. Yes, they are slow and you can forget about using your fax machine. The only time you can get a decent download is during the wee hours of the morning. If you are streaming, you are SOL on that.  You will get constant buffering.  I wish I had not signed on with this company.

@DebiS wrote:
I understand why it slows down based on what sites I might visit and others competing for the bandwidth. However during daylight hours I am consistently only getting 1/20 to 1/50th of the advertised speed which means waiting for simple webpages to load. This almost seems like advertisement or over sales. If I was getting 1/3 to 1/2 with an occasional 1/4 the download speed I would find it acceptable. I formally used viasat however with their newer technology the newer satellite is positioned where I can not get clearance due to a hill. My download speeds normally ran 50 to 120% of the advertised. Are other longer term Hughesnet customers happy with their internet performance?

GabeU

@lamaria1 wrote:

The only time you can get a decent download is during the wee hours of the morning. If you are streaming, you are SOL on that.  You will get constant buffering.   

Only to refute the blanket statements, many subscribers do not have problems with downloads or streaming.  

Whoops. I hit reply in my own window. I understand why speeds slows down based on what sites I might visit and others competing for the bandwidth. However during daylight hours I am consistently only getting 1/20 to 1/50th of the advertised speed which means waiting for simple webpages to load. This almost seems like mis-advertisement or over sales. If I was getting 1/3 to 1/2 with an occasional 1/4 the download speed I would find it acceptable. I formally used viasat however with their newer technology the newer satellite is positioned where I can not get clearance due to a hill. My download speeds normally ran 50 to 120% of the advertised. Are other longer term Hughesnet customers happy with their internet performance?
maratsade

There may have been fewer customers on your other service, as satellite is satellite and the two services are similar. 

Please keep in mind this is a tech support site dedicated so solving tech or account issues. It is not social media. If you would like to poll users, you may want to try social media.  If you would like to troubleshoot your speed issues, then please use your thread to do so. 

I appreciate your input. I realize it is a technical support site. So is this an technical issue that my speeds are slow? I spent several hours with technical support and their trying to resolve/solve the issue. The issue was not resolved but from my own testing I am assuming all of my equipment is operating correctly so there is an issue somewhere else. I also assume that Hughesnet technical staff could check to see how much data is being put through each beam on the satellite.
maratsade

Yes, your slow speeds are a technical issue -- however, it's very likely that the slow speeds you are experiencing coincide with several things, such as internet traffic, prime time traffic on your beam, local congestion, the number of devices connected to your wifi, the number of users on your wifi, and so many more. 

The techs can check whether the equipment is working as it should -- did they do that when you talked to them on the phone?

You can also see if your equipment is working by going to the system control center (http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status) and checking that you see all green checkmarks, and that the number next to State Code is 0.0.0.  If that's the case, then your equipment is working as it should, and the issues you are experiencing likely come from congestion, traffic, devices, software, hardware, and others. 

The system control center can give you a lot of information about what may be going on -- for example, let's say a family of 4 all have their devices connected, and they're all streaming. The data coming into the house would be split 4 ways and would slow everyone down.  Let's say other people who also have the service in the area are also on at the same time, around dinner time, for example .This will also split the data that goes to the whole group and slow everyone down.  Can this be solved? Not really. It can be managed, but it does require some sacrifices, such as not streaming so much, for example. 

I have connected only one computer to my Hughesnet wifi. I can not connect my computer directly to the modem as it does not have wired ethernet card. When ever I us testmy.net, I also check my modem status and the signal strength which has been excellent. 126 to 135. The only true I know of in my 2.5 days of testing is time of day. That only allows for two full cycles. It wasn't until early two mornings ago that I became mostly certain that all my equipment and new satellite dish were correctly installed when at 3am it I observed speed in the morning that were 20+Mbps. At that point I turned on an older computer and tried testing the download speed for it. It actually reached a download speed of 30Mbps. After the test I turned the old computer back off. Since that time I have ran speed test more or less randomly in about hour intervals while I use my computer. Do you still think it might be my in house network that is causing the problem and if so could you explain why? As I indicated I have logged onto the wifi with only two devices, both computers and one I have powered down. Continuing to run the speed test for a few more days will I think verify that issue is outside of my control and is most likely due to more users than bandwidth, unless of course there is some type of throttle Hughesnet has on my account. FYI I still have 89% of my allotted data allowance available.
maratsade

"Do you still think it might be my in house network that is causing the problem and if so could you explain why?"

I think you may be encountering beam and internet congestion.  You will need to troubleshoot with one of the HughesNet reps here to figure out the cause, but it's likely it's internet and beam congestion, given that your speeds are reduced at certain times of the day, but are fine at others.  Hopefully a rep will reply to you. 

DebiS,

Welcome to the Community! I see this is your first set of posts. I was unable to find an account attached to your community profile, so please send me your account number or a phone number attached to your account at this link, and we can take a deeper dive into this!

Thanks,

Remy

@Remy 

I responded to the link you sent on Thursday on Friday.  I also sent another private message this morning(Monday).  I had hope to hear from you today.  I'm not certain when you work but I was assuming I sent the mesage too late on Friday to hear from you until the work week.

Thanks

Debi,

Apologies, I was out of office on Monday due to illness. I was looking into your account, and see you have begun the process of cancellation. Are there any questions you may have for me in regards to the cancellation or your services?

Thanks,

Remy