cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does upload data count againts monthly data cap?

Does upload data count againts monthly data cap?

Curious if upload data counts against our data caps?

Reason I ask is trying to figure out why I used double the data versus when I was on Gen 4.

Today while using the HN App on my iPhone I checked data usage and appears I am using 100 to 200MB per day upload.  That seems high considering I don't normally upload anything.  Maybe a picture every now and then on Facebook.

Is not upload mostly my quick text for web URLs... can't im imagine web site URL return key makes me use 200MB a day.  Seems steep to me.

How much upload data the rest of you use per day?

TJ

9 REPLIES 9
Professor

Re: Does upload data count againts monthly data cap?

"Curious if upload data counts against our data caps?"

It does.

Honorary Alumnus

Yes, upload data counts against your data allowance. This was true for Spaceway and Gen4 as well.

upload.PNG

Just my opinion but I think that the way "compression" savings are applied have changed between Gen4 and Gen5 systems.

Honorary Alumnus

"How much upload data the rest of you use per day?"

This is a result of your type of activity.

Uploading large files, using cloud based services or malware/virus activity will result in massive data usage in the "upload" direction.

Assistant Professor

Make sure you don't have any kind of cloud syncing enabled across variuos devices. Even something like email syncing can use upload data.

@BirdDog wrote:

Make sure you don't have any kind of cloud syncing enabled across variuos devices. Even something like email syncing can use upload data.

I am on Mac and Ubuntu here... Altgough I don't do any photos or anything like that and don't store data in any cloud, I do know I have iCloud of course for emails.  I believe on my Mac I have turned that off but unsure if my two iPhones have that on.  I know in iCloud on the Mac I unchecked all other than emails.  Guess emails being left on could be the culprit then.

Thanks for that.  200MB a day means 6GB end of the month.  Will have to explore that deeper.

TJ

Distinguished Professor III

@macsociety wrote:

How much upload data the rest of you use per day?

For me, it averages about 30MB per day.  Most of it being Facebook activity, picture/screenshot/gif uploads, Webroot Antivirus communication (it's cloud based) and Windows Telemetry.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

"Windows Telemetry"

Now that's piqued my interest... kinda like monitoring clear diplomatic teletype over shortwave in the old days.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

Actually, I should have used the term "Windows Spying".  Smiley Tongue 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

Even better.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.