Download speeds 90% slower than average

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Virginiauser
New Poster

Download speeds 90% slower than average

After running several tests on TMN my download speeds are consistently 90-95% (1.5 Mbps) slower than all averages. I have done the tests between 2-3am assuming this would be during the least network traffic. I have had this issue for several months even after the reset of my data cycle. Is there anything I can do to resolve the issue or should I have someone check the satellite itself? I am also hardline to the modem and ran the tests with only 1 device using the service.
1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Virginiauser

Right now, at least, when testing during the first hour or two of the Bonus Zone your speed is likely to be slow, as there are so many new devices online, getting updates and downloads, whether scheduled or actively.  My speeds right around then have plunged drastically.  However, if your speed has been low for some time, like you've described, that's not good.  

Can you post your TMN (testmy.net) Results page URL so that your test results can be viewed?  If you didn't run the tests under a TMN account that you created you won't have a TMN Results page URL.  Still, you could post a couple of the individual test result URLs if that's the case.  

Also, though you already mentioned such, please ensure that you are not presently out of data before running any further tests, as tests while throttled don't help.  

Just in case, I'll post the full Gen5 speed testing instructions so that, if the tests haven't been run using the protocol, you can get some in for the reps.  Again, if you don't have an account at testmy.net it would be advisable to create one and run the tests while signed in to that account.  This way the reps/engineers can see all of your test results in a single location, then look at the info for specific ones if they choose to.  

----------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).