Hughesnet Community

Draining internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaellowe577

Draining internet

My account renewed on September 16, 2015 and it has been doing pretty good until 3 days ago all of a sudden it is draining more quickly now! I am doing the exact same thing everyday, nothing changed at all! I am even unplugging the LAN cable when I do not need to use the internet and it was doing great! But, now I plug the LAN back in and my internet is down each time! I went from 90% to 75% in three (3) days! I DO NOT THINK SO!!! HUGHESNET NEEDS TO STOP DRAINING MY INTERNET!!!

I do more in the hours of 2 AM to 8 AM just for this reason and the meter has hardly even moved!

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

michaellowe577,

Please perform the following steps exactly as outlined to help begin troubleshooting your data loss.

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.
Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

If you show very little to no usage after those steps are completed, I strongly advise installing a program like Glasswire on your computer to monitor that computers connectivity and what programs are using how much data in a given time period.
Please note, Glasswire is a third party utility, and can only monitor what is local to that one machine it's installed on.
https://www.glasswire.com/
michaellowe577

This is the deal when I posted the first Problem. I had shut down and unplugged my LAN cable from the box and left and when I got back plugged LAN back in, turned on the computer and looked at my time and much to my surprise it went down 2% and not even plugged in and not even home!

I have NO OTHER DEVICES PLUGGED IN! I ONLY HAVE 1 COMPUTER AND THATS ALL!!
DO NOT EVEN BOTHER TO TELL ME THAT HUGHESNET DOES NOT DRAIN ACCOUNTS!! IF I AM NOT EVEN USING THE COMPUTER/INTERNET THEN IT SHOULD NOT HAVE GONE DOWN 2% WHILE I WAS OUT!!!!!

This is a long shot but maybe a house nearby or a someboby is hacking into your data. really easy if someone has the password. But I would put money on microsoft , there allways hacking into our system with there children games apps, disable all that junk and disable any apps.  I was going thur the same problems with verizion , That is way I swithched over to Hughes . Speeds have really been better , I have lots of data  really dont track it, but it lasts all month. If I run out I'm not cut off and the speed is pretty much the same , I would not worry  about running out of data , this  company is pretty cool.  I never had it better

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@tm125

You do realize that this thread is nearly three years old, right?  They also had Gen4, which means no WiFi, and no 3rd party router was mentioned.  

The person also never posted the screeshots of the modem isolation test.  

The thread was acually supposed to have been closed.  @Liz

Thanks for the heads up Gabe, will close this thread.

Hi tm125! I appreciate you popping in to offer help even though this is an old thread, haha. Glad you're enjoying our service!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It does take the status meter a few minutes to catch up after large downloads in many cases. So if something large streamed or downloaded just before unplugging it may not show up until you plug back in.
What OS do you have, Windows 10?
Liz

Good morning Michael,

Welcome back and thanks for sharing your screenshots. We first need to determine for sure if HughesNet is the source of the unidentified data usage.

Can you please clarify which of your screenshots are the before and after shots? If I go by your first two shots: 9/30 1:00 am to 10/1 7:20 am, that's a a day and 6 hrs of being offline, is that how long you kept the LAN cable disconnected from the HughesNet modem?

If I go from your second to the third screenshots, 10/1 7:20 am - 10/2 4:39 pm, that's an offline time of one day and 9 hours. Please clarify the period of time the HughesNet modem was isolated so we can match it with our logs. Once we have a match, I can send these to our engineers.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi Michael,

It's been almost two weeks since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz