cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic and continuous slow response time.

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Dramatic and continuous slow response time.

The hughes speed test, testmy and samknows are all reporting continuous sub 1MB download speeds.  Here is my testmy record:  https://testmy.net/compID/6618126711622

13 REPLIES 13
Liz

Re: Dramatic and continuous slow response time.

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the speed tests. What was it that you were struggling to do online that prompted running speed tests? That way we can narrow our focus.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

The answer to your question is: anything I try to do on the internet!  If I want to download anything larger than a small email, I have to do it at 2 in the morning.  Here are the latest test results:  https://testmy.net/db/G3w_zc6gn   Since the speed is about 10-15% of normal, on a good day, I suggest that you refund 90% of what I am paying for and not receiving.  Who is getting priority on this beam?  The Michigan Lottery?  It certainly isn't the residents who are locked in their house...

Liz

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the additional info. Certain websites can be media-heavy, which can take longer to load, unlike other sites like google.com which should load significantly faster because there is minimal bells and whistles.

I recall some suggestions other community members have shared to help speed up page loading. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think enabling a javascript blocker and an ad-blocker can help.

We apologize for the difficulty you are experiencing with your service. Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, traffic on the HughesNet network has increased dramatically. We have adjusted the network to help improve performance during this time of increased usage, and our engineers are working around the clock to optimize the network for all our customers.

To fix the problem you are experiencing, please try the steps below.

Adjust your streaming app/device settings:

Adjust your HughesNet settings:

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

and the beat goes on...

0.7Mbs

Displaying Internet Speed Test results for Connection ID 6618126711622

Deacon
Freshman

You're not alone.  I've had HN for about 2 weeks now and have yet to be able stream anything from Netflix or YouTube without constant interruptions.  I am on my second modem without any improvement.  My download speeds are constantly above 15+ to 40+.  I'm about ready to pull the plug on these guys.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Given that we're in a pandemic, and congestion is at an all time high, and streaming has been deprioritised, it's so not a surprise you can't stream.  

You do have the option to cancel if the service is so unbearable to you.

Deacon wrote:

You're not alone.  I've had HN for about 2 weeks now and have yet to be able stream anything from Netflix or YouTube without constant interruptions.  I am on my second modem without any improvement.  My download speeds are constantly above 15+ to 40+.  I'm about ready to pull the plug on these guys.

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Thank you, Maratsade, for your considered, informative, comforting and sympathetic response.  I spent over 45 years in the computer industry, many of those in sales, support, and product management.  If one of my employees told a customer to cancel, if they didn't like the product, I would have fired them on the spot...  We are all painfully aware of the pandemic... I have lost a dear friend to the virus and have two more on life support.  I'm also 78 years old and in fear of my life if I catch the bug.  Having said that, I, like most hughes customers, am confined to quarters and slowly going bat nuts.  Reliance on my computer for both entertainment as well as to run my businesses is very high.  I know that the system is being prioritized.  I also know that my beam is supporting many sites of the Michigan Lottery... which is dying from the same list of quaranteen problems... but I'll bet that they are at much higher priority.  I'm just asking for a little consideration for the helpless and downtrodden users who are still paying very high fees for service because we live in the woods and have no alternative.  If you want to help, fine!  If you just want to spew out insulting and offensive remarks, move on to the next client... you aren't doing me any good!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

I'm neither your employee nor HN's and I was stating a fact. But hey, you be you, Kirk.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Deacon wrote:

I'm not really sure why they would have sent you a replacement modem, unless there was some other issue that hasn't been discussed here, but when it comes to streaming, HughesNet has implemented a prioritization policy (as of 3/20) that favors work and schooling related activities during high usage periods, which may very well be around the clock right now.  While this policy is in effect, things like streaming and gaming related downloads end up taking a back seat.  So, while your overall speed may be fine for streaming, the system may automatically limit your bandwidth when it detects that activity.  

With the incredible strain currently on the system, they're basically apportioning bandwidth to what are considered the most important activities.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro