Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic Performance

Highlighted
Junior

Erratic Performance

Hello,

I have a Gen 5 plan on Echostar 17. Lately performance has been very erratic.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Tom%20Flanagan

On May 6 at 6:18 pm 1.7mbps
6:23 pm 1.84 mbps
6:51 pm 17.38 mbps

On May 7 at 6:38 am 2.32 mbps
at 6:51 am 1.57 mbps
at 7:36 am 25.9 mbps
at 9:39 pm 861 kbps
at 9:57 pm 807 kbps
at 10:21 pm 929 kbps

On May 8 at 5:47 am 11.34 mbps note it was really 6 mb there was a spike in the data over 100 mbps
at 5:50 am 1.34 mbps
at 6:01 am 30.01 mbps

My data plan just reset this morning. However because of the erratic performance 72% of my data last month was unused.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Erratic Performance

Hi rustythecur,

Thanks for posting and providing new speed tests. I pulled up your account to run diagnostics on you system, and so far all fine. However, I couldn't get a complete picture of your history. Please don't powercycle/reboot your modem for this week so we can accumulate enough data to evaluate.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Junior

Thank you Liz for your reply. I will leave everything on. I should have mentioned in my original post that nothing in the System Control Center shows that I have a problem when the system is running slow.

Highlighted

You're welcome rustythecur. Thank you for letting me know your SCC status during slow down. I'll run new diagnostics at the end of the week and inform engineering so they can have a look as well. I'll keep you posted.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Junior

Hi Liz,

A update, last night night all tests after 9pm,
754 kbps
599 kbps
488 kbps
847 kbps

This morning between 6am and 7am,
24.93 mbps
3.07 mbps
25.34 mbps
1.1 mbps
31.16 mbps
25.45 mbps
29.17 mbps
1.22 mbps
26.25 mbps
1.06 mbps
1.1 mbps
26.1 mbps

Highlighted

Hi rustythecur,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. We were able to get enough data to complete the rest of your diagnostics, and that looks fine as well. When you're running the speed tests on testmy.net and seeing the erratic speeds pop up, is this while directly connected to the HughesNet modem? No other router in the mix?

Highlighted
Junior

Hi Liz,

When I first started having problems I was using my laptop and Netgear router. I do not have a way to connect my laptop directly to the Hughesnet modem. After a day of problems I shutdown the Netgear modem and just used the Hughesnet wifi. No change.

I do have a gaming desktop computer, it became useless when we moved from Gen4 to Gen5, it can only connect to the internet by ethernet cable. I got it out of storage and hooked it up. Same problem do a test the result is 25mbps do it again 2 minutes later and it is 800kbps.

It was after trying my desktop I made my original post. This morning at 11:26 am using the desktop my speed was 18.65 mbps, at 11:31 am again using the desktop my speed was 696 kbps. At 11:34 am using my laptop and the Hughesnet 5g wifi my speed was 26.23 mbps.

The recent tests on Testme are a mixture of laptop and desktop. The results are the same.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Tom%20Flanagan

Highlighted

Thanks for the confirmation. What's the power source for the HughesNet modem? Is it on a power strip with a lot of other devices plugged in? Surge protector? Direct to power outlet? I'd first see if plugging direct to the outlet makes a difference. If no difference, try a different outlet. Please let me know how it goes.

Highlighted
Junior

Hi Liz,

Yes it is on a surge protector. I live in the mountains and we have frequent thunder storms. I plugged the modem into the wall, not the outlet that the surge protector is plugged into. The first 4 tests I did were great all 26 mbps or higher, I did one last one before responding 902 kbps, sigh. I have to go back to my chores but I will experiment some more tonight, I will give you and update tomorrow.

One last note I did these last 5 tests with my laptop because I was in the house for short time. Tonight I will use the desktop that is directly connected to the modem.

Highlighted
New Poster

Just started with Hugesnet and have the exact same issue.  We used to have exede, but switched over to Hughesnet as it seemed a much better deal.  We are located in the Virginia Mountains and our speed tests are very similar to what you posted.  We have done the whole reboot thing and it really didn't make much of a difference, sometimes it seems to work a little better after the reboot and other times not.  We have only had the service for a month now.  We called Hughesnet two different times and they had us do speed tests, our test were a little slower then yourse.  We were told they would elevate the call to engineering and that they would call us back in 48 hours.  The first call was about 3 weeks ago or about a week after the service was put in and the next call was early last week.  To date no one has called back, seems we are on our own, thus I saw your post and figure maybe I could get help this way.