cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensive price for only 20gb of slow, unreliable internet!

Highlighted

Expensive price for only 20gb of slow, unreliable internet!

I just moved into my first house. It’s in a rather rural area, to where there are no internet service providers that service my area, except HughesNet. I started my service early August 2018 and it has been terrible. The website states it’s promises 25mbps of speeds. I’ve been getting 0.5-1 mbps. It won’t load any videos, it’s slow with apps, slow with anything! (And that’s even its even working).

I’ve made calls with customer service, which always ends up either call dropped, stuck on hold, or an incompetent employee that offers no help. I’ve had two instances where I would randomly get a text message stating that I have someone coming out (always lands on a day that I’m working) and I would call them back to reschedule. BOTH TIMES NOONE SHOWED UP.

I want out. I want this gigantic dish off my roof, this worthless motem out of my house. I’m not paying that insane $400 contract termination fee. Cancel my service, take your crap. You guys didn’t hold up your end of the deal with high speed internet, it so slow that’s it’s faster to just let my 3g or 1x that my cell picks up in my area. Wave the $400 termination fee and let me be done with it please!
Tags (3)
3 REPLIES

Re: Expensive price for only 20gb of slow, unreliable internet!

You are so right. This is the worst internet service ever. I wish I knew the name and number of the salesman that sold me on this junk. I would like to tell him what a liar he is. Tech support was on phone with me when my speed changed from 30mb to .3mb. It goes up and down like a yo-yo. They say it may take some time to fix it but I dought that they can. I think they over sold the area. Wish I had my DSL back.

Associate Professor

@Thuismam wrote:
I just moved into my first house. It’s in a rather rural area, to where there are no internet service providers that service my area, except HughesNet. I started my service early August 2018 and it has been terrible. The website states it’s promises 25mbps of speeds. I’ve been getting 0.5-1 mbps. It won’t load any videos, it’s slow with apps, slow with anything! (And that’s even its even working).

The Hughesnet Website doesn't state that it promises speeds of 25Mbps, it states, "25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload speeds.**"

That ** is very important, as that means there is a disclaimer attached, that disclaimer is found at the bottom of the website.

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

@Thuismam wrote:
I’ve been getting 0.5-1 mbps. It won’t load any videos, it’s slow with apps, slow with anything! (And that’s even its even working).
  • How exactly are you measuring your speeds?
  • Are you testing over wifi when doing speed tests?
  • Have you exhausted your Monthly Data Allowance?  If you are unsure, you can visit http://192.168.0.1 to view your remaining allowance.  Speeds will be reduced to 1Mbps or lower once you have exhausted your allowance.
  • As far as streaming video goes, make sure that you have set the streaming service you use to 480P or lower, otherwise, please disable Video Data Saver.
  • Would you be willing to troubleshoot your issues here in the community?

@Thuismam wrote:
I want out. I want this gigantic dish off my roof, this worthless motem out of my house. I’m not paying that insane $400 contract termination fee. Cancel my service, take your crap. You guys didn’t hold up your end of the deal with high speed internet

Sorry, but unless certain circumstances have been met, you will not be able to get out of your contract which starts day one.  Hughesnet is so far upholding their end of the contract by providing upto 25Mbps of bandwidth to you.

Professor

Gtalley,

If you'd like solutions for your tech issues, you should create your own topic, separate from this one, so your issues can be addressed separately.  If you're just here to rant and are not seeking solutions, you should go elsewhere. This is a tech support site, not a rant-and-whine site.

You are so right. This is the worst internet service ever. I wish I knew the name and number of the salesman that sold me on this junk. I would like to tell him what a liar he is. Tech support was on phone with me when my speed changed from 30mb to .3mb. It goes up and down like a yo-yo. They say it may take some time to fix it but I dought that they can. I think they over sold the area. Wish I had my DSL back.