cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Speeds and a Run Around

ginguro
New Poster

Extremely Slow Speeds and a Run Around

I live in rural Oregon.  I've been a Hughesnet customer for nearly 5 years this go around.  I was previously a customer back in the day before the HN6000 and was a Beta Tester for the HN7000i, so I'm not unversed in satellite internet and it's vagaries.  I left Hughes because of those.  Speeds cratered and the service became unusable.

In January 2016 I gave it another try because I was paying for much more expensive wireless options from Verizon and needed more data..  I assumed I was getting Gen 5 at the time, but the installer didn't have one in his van and went with the HN1100 Gen 4 at the time, saying the Gen 5 was not yet reliable and I would be just as well off with Gen 4 and the larger data packages available.  Shady for sure but--OK.  I'd go with that and install my own WiFi network.  I was pretty happy with the performance.  Never got 10Mbps but I'd get squirts of 7 or 8 occasionally.

My speeds have been slowing to a crawl for months, even the last couple years.  I'm on Echostar 17, (Jupiter 1), Gateway ID 9, Beam ID 10 and outroute ID 16.

On November 25 I called tech support.  My speeds were in the range of .2 to .4 Mps.   The tech, Edgar, ran his tests, agreed my speeds were very slow, offered no solution and created a Case # 134446429 and sent me off to customer service.  Here a guy named Jeff told me my speeds were slow because I was still on Gen 4, but if I would simply upgrade to the new NT2000W all my problems would be solved.  He promised I could keep my data plan and there would be no two year contract if I was not satisfieand thrilled with Gen 5.  He created Case # 134261037.

The new modem was delivered and I installed it as per the instructions and set up the WIFI with a computer connected via Cat 5.  Everything works.  But as slow as the Gen 4 HN1100.

I called back tech support.  Got another Case #134446429.  December 3.  Ran the tests.  Was told "engineering" would call within 48 hours.

I have run speed tests with a single laptop and cat5 ethernet cable.

With a single computer on WiFi.

With a computer and laptop on WiFi.

With a tablet on WiFi.

I have reinstalled my old WiFi network (Netgear) and run all the same tests with the same results.  Average speeds are somewhere in the .3 to .4 range.  I have 50 Gigs of anytime data that I couldn't use up if I tried!  No streaming without buffering.  Latency averages 1100 ms.    I had better download speeds 15 to 20 years ago with the HN7000 on SatMex5.

Engineering called today. December 8.  He ran all the tests.  Booted and rebooted.  We went into admin on the modem and changed all sorts of settings as instructed.  Changed from outroute beam 16 to outroute beam 10.  All my equipment is working properly.  No problems with the dish, lnb, modem etc.  My signal strength is in the 113 to 119 range.

And then I got the Covid excuse.  Equipment and systems are overloaded.  Too much traffic. People are staying home.  Hughes equipment can't keep up.  Hughes is working on it.  Maybe some problems with equipment at the location of my gateway beam somewhere in Montana. It will get lots better soon.  Don't know when.

Ironically, right now as I sit here typing, the TV is on and I'm hearing an advertisement for Hughesnet Gen 5, and the promises of outstanding service and 25Mbps download speeds.  Why are they still selling systems when they can't begin to meet the needs of customers they already have?

If someone can post instructions on  posting Testmy results, I have a page full just from today, before and after the call from tech support.  I suppose the next step might be Viasat.  Hate the hassle.  We don't have fixed wireless here.  Maybe Starlink soon?

Robert

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Extremely Slow Speeds and a Run Around

To post Testmy results, simply copy the URL from the My Results page and post it here. 

I'm sure you have done this, but just in case, please be sure to follow the procedure detailed here

Tspayde

Wow, you have investigated this issue far more than I. I am fed up with the terribly slow speeds. I cannot work with Teams or Zoom. I can barely handle email. Forget about trying to watch a streaming movie or broadcast. I'm just waiting for my 2-year term to expire and I'm ripping the dish off my roof. Terrible service. I will never recommend this network to anyone, and would have bought any other option available. Next stop, a reliable hotspot. I have a 20 gig plan and the past few months I struggled to even use that paltry amount. Peace out.

ginguro
New Poster

Tags (1)
maratsade

You will need to follow the protocol; please read the instructions and run some more speed tests. The procedure is required to have speed tests addressed by the HN reps in this community.

ginguro wrote:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/rsmuff

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ginguro 

Was the possibility of switching you to the Echostar 19 satellite ever discussed?  AFAIK, only the eastern half of OR can get service from the ES19 sat, so if you're in the western half it's likely not an option.  

BTW, might your date be off concerning when you signed back up?  Gen5 service wasn't available until March 2017, and I believe the availability of said service on the Echostar 17 satellite wasn't available until sometime after that.  It wouldn't have been an option in Jan 2016.  Regardless, that's neither here not there concerning your current issue, of course.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Prettyeuphoric
Freshman

Same here and I always get run around blaming everyone home. Should we pay for something that never works, would they? I love how you can't do speed test with different companies. I guess they have something to hide. I have not been able to access my modem in a month because server sop or slow speed. I despise this company and would never recommend it. I live in an area with little choice..I even sold my television because trying to watch it did nothing but frustrated me. Sigh

maratsade

The reason that a specific test is required is because of the type of information the test yields, which is what the network engineers need to figure out what the particular issue with a particular subscriber may be. Subscribers can run tests with whatever tool they want; however, to have speed issues addressed by the HN reps here and on social media, the specific test from testmy.net is required.  

If you have had problems with your modem for a month, you may want to start a new topic by going to the tech support section and clicking the blue "start a topic" button.  

Prettyeuphoric wrote:

Same here and I always get run around blaming everyone home. Should we pay for something that never works, would they? I love how you can't do speed test with different companies. I guess they have something to hide. I have not been able to access my modem in a month because server sop or slow speed. I despise this company and would never recommend it. I live in an area with little choice..I even sold my television because trying to watch it did nothing but frustrated me. Sigh

spydermike
Sophomore

I hear you ginguro.  We are So Oregon users for some 17 years...same story.  I have been trying to get help and answers for 2 months now because it finally really got to me.  I am not getting anywhere in this 2 months yet except now I have to fix a damaged pipe caused by the tech support guy when moving the antenna.  I just woke up at 4am to run more tests to find it starting at 4Mbps download and ending up in a steady decline to 1Mbps and working its way to where I will finally land at less than 1Mbps for the rest of the day.  I am coming to the conclusion that us western Oregon users are basically out of luck with Hughesnet and always have been.  The good news is I get upload speeds that are twice my download speeds...if only I had something to upload.

I am tired.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Prettyeuphoric wrote:

I have not been able to access my modem in a month because server sop or slow speed.  

Are you trying to access your HughesNet modem remotely, as in from another location?

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro