https://testmy.net/db/ar5JRBY7z

Upload pretty shoddy....

https://testmy.net/db/r_AmT3hx9

Woody

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Exttremely slow web page load times

@hamradio wrote:

Why is the "actual" download stream so much slower than what should be, given the reported speed?

If I could attach one, a video would show the issue, albiet a long, boring video Smiley Wink

Woody

When you test on TestMy, you're basically testing just the path to just TestMy. It's a good test because it'll be fairly consistent short path if you choose a server that's close to your gateway.

The actual download to other places are going to be restricted by whatever delays are used in all the hops between the gateway's upstream provider and the destination server. You can see those delays (and the hops in the path) by doing a traceroute to wherever you're trying to go.

I can tell you that I get very good and consistent non-primetime speeds to most locations, but I've rarely seen any update from ClamXav (only a 15MB file) take less than 5 minutes. Very painful.

And, as an extra added bonus, if it's going through any server serviced by CentryLink right now, good luck - their entire network is pretty much fubar. I'm pretty sure those paths that are trying to dynamically reroute around them are also pretty taxed.

Edit: Also, you can't compare the speed of video streaming to downloading a file when high latency is an issue. Video is actually several small file packets that are sent pending an ack on your side to ensure they're reeived in the proper sequence and proper timing. Latency in the handshake will appear as delay, which will display as buffering. It may also cause the ack to be received later than the server expected, causing them to send out extra unneeded packets, causing your usage to needlessly go up.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

Several newspapers are saying that the CL outage is over.  Surely doesn't seem so, though, right?  And CL seems pretty tight-lipped regarding what actually happened. 

@MarkJFine wrote: And, as an extra added bonus, if it's going through any server serviced by CentryLink right now, good luck - their entire network is pretty much fubar. I'm pretty sure those paths that are trying to dynamically reroute around them are also pretty taxed.

Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Several newspapers are saying that the CL outage is over.  Surely doesn't seem so, though, right?  And CL seems pretty tight-lipped regarding what actually happened. 

While it's possible their 911 service is back, there's no guarantee their internet is 100%. Also, whenever there's any kind of a "disturbance in the force", there's about 24 hours for everyone's routing tables to adjust and propagate.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

@hamradio

There was another tester on HughesNet, whose name I forget, who was getting a lot of wacky speed test results, as well.  Pretty much any test showing you a result higher than about 50Mbps or so is "wacky", or incorrect.  

If you look on your Results page and click on the TID of some of the wacky tests, you can see in the graph that something isn't right.  When they start off at nearly 300Mbps, then ease down to something lower, you know something's a bit off.  I don't know if it's the server or what, but something's definitely weird.  

Edit:  I should add that, for the really crazy ones, the graph often isn't there.  Maybe the tests are too messed up to produce one.

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

Interesting, but it does not appear data speed / testing is the issue.  I ran several ipconfig tracert passes.  I attached two results.  I understand the 600-700 ms latency, but not the timeouts.  Lots of hops too...

Woodytracert1.jpgtracert2.jpg

Junior

FWIW, testmy.net once reported something like 2000 mb !   It warned me that it was above the normal max.  Yup, guess so Smiley Wink  Ignored the result...

Assistant Professor

The provider for your gateway is Level3 (4.14.190.73).

Many times you'll hit a hop that's isolated from being pinged in a traceroute and you'll see a timeout from that. However, in this case, I'm pretty sure Level3 are timing out at some point between when each reporting ping goes out and comes back, which is why it doesn't seem consistent. I want to think it's an MTU-related problem for them, but that almost seems too simple a fix. Likely also messed up routing tables that end up going to dead hops - they're known for that too.

Not gonna lie, Level3 is a mess and the source of a lot of the problems most of us see, not HughesNet. This is not only with regular browsing, but the source of streaming problems as well.

Edit: FYI: That second image shows shows you going into the Amazon Web Services 'black hole', which QRZ are hosted on.

Junior

Thanks Mark, but what can be done?  Never had this issue prior to joining HN, when was with Verizon 3G.  When the local 3G tower transmit signal strength  became intermittant and Verizon could not (would not? - they were loosing interest in 3G) find out why, I changed my ISP.   Yesterday, could not even download my email from Dot5 Hosting. Coincidence?

What can be done?

Woody

Junior

Oh, and I agree...  AWS seems to be the slowest of the slow...

_W_