cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exttremely slow web page load times

Re: Exttremely slow web page load times

Good morning Woody,

I appreciate your patience as your case was looked at by our engineers here at corporate. They noticed packet loss over wifi, especially with the iPad. Let's simplify and stick with a wired computer for troubleshooting.

To be certain the wired computer is the only device using the internet connection during this test, please disable the wifi in your wifi settings in the System Control Center. (Just let us know if you need a reminder on where to find that)

Are you now currently seeing slow loading pages while directly connected to the modem? 

Which sites did you try?

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Hi Liz,

Not sure why there is packet loss on the iPad, the signal is strong.  Anyway, not the issue...

Have already tried disabling wifi and useing only the ethernet connected "main" PC.  Made no difference.

The waiting time can vary but have not traced to a single site.  Sometimes pretty quick, other times you can time the web site load with a calendar!  One of the worst is qrz.com that uses s3.amazonaws.com, but can be almost any site.   As I mentioned, the other evening, it took 6 minutes to get to myhughesnet.com and reach this forum.  Not so bad today...   For a reference, a friend using a different ISP went to  qrz.com.  He reported that he could not time the access well since it was nearly instantanous.  Admittedly, he does not have sattelite latency, but...

Woody

Thanks Woody, that's what engineering observed on your site, so we're gonna focus on your home network.

Let's review how each device is being used. For engineering's understanding, please describe how you use each device, as well as in what typical scenario do you encounter slow loading pages.

For example, I experience slow downs when I use my PC directly connected to the modem to access my banking site and email. Then I use my iPad in the kitchen to stream Netflix in the evenings.

Understanding what's on your network and how you're using it may help shed light for engineering regarding your packet loss.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Distinguished Professor III

@hamradio

I went to qrz.com and it took 14 seconds for it to start opening.  Once it started opening it was pretty quick to finish.  I then tried it again, with the info in my cache, of course, and this time it started opening within about two seconds from the time I hit the enter key.  

I don't know if this helps at all.  I just wanted to try it and let you know what it did for me.  This is at 8:42PM EST, with my current speeds being very decent, and using Chrome on a Windows 10 PC.

Edit:  I tried the same with Firefox.  It was 19 seconds on the first try, then four seconds on the second.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Liz,

I experience slow downs when I use HughesNet!  Smiley Wink  Sorry, had to say that...

iPAD - wifi packet loss may be an issue for the iPAD, but seems unrelated to the primary problem.  The problem persists with the Notebook and iPAD off and wifi turned off.  Packet loss between the HT2000W - Echostar - ground station may be another issue, but I can't directly do anything about that.

I have tested multiple configurations, at various times, and with only the "main" PC connected by Ethernet.   Slow performance does vary in how bad it is, but I cannot limit it to any configuration or any specific web site, or time.   It does not matter what other devices may, or may not be, in use (same issue with all but "main" PC connected via Ethernet,  wifi on or off).  No way it could be a local network loading issue.  

Often visit QRZ.com (my log book data site, facebook.com ,  wuderground.com, kz4ak.com, and many others when doing research, or just surfing.  

I also get ~20 timeouts out of 30 hops every time I do a tracert to qrz.com.   Some other sites, less.   (see image: two traces hours apart).  The timeout pattern and numbers can change with different trace times and IPA destinations.  I would think this means something, but I do not know what.

GabeU,

If I had your connectivity, I would be very happy!

Hope we can resolve this.  Thanks for hanging in....

Woody

Highlighted
Sophomore

Two things..

Gabe,

Sometimes, on a good day, I might get your performance, but it is not the rule...

...And here is the image omitted from my previous post.tracert 10JAN.jpg

Distinguished Professor III

@hamradio 

This is mine tonight.  Not very good for the trace, but I'm not having any load time issues.  BTW, I think the reason yours says "direcway.com" and mine says "hnremote.net" is because I'm using Google's DNS and not HughesNet's.  

Also, though I don't know that it would matter, have you tried an alternate DNS just to see what would happen?  I know it only resolves the IP address, so it may only help if the problem is the initial fetching of the page to open, but you never know.   

Trace.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks Woody, I've sent your feedback over to engineering for their evaluation.

Thanks,
Liz

Sophomore

Thanks Liz,

Hope the info helps!

An interesting footnote...  My granddaughter is visiting and exhausted my data allocation and bonus data.  Even throttled-back, I can hardly detect any difference in the overall throughput.

Woody

@Liz wrote:

Thanks Woody, I've sent your feedback over to engineering for their evaluation.

Hi Woody, 

We noticed you were out of data, and so did our engineers. We provided you with some data so our engineers can monitor your performance over the weekend.

Thanks,
Liz