cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Facebook Issues... Reps?

@Liz @Amanda @Damian @Jay @Hardy 

Is there any way I might be able to get one of you to remotely take a look to make sure everything is okay with my HughesNet equipment?  I have a tree that's grown up considerably, and it's difficult to tell if it's starting to be in the way.  My signal strength is good, usually at around 100 or so, but you never know.  I'm able to remove the tree if I need to.   

Also, is there anything that can be done to purge my modem or reset it or something to get rid of any old stuff, if that would have any effect, that is.  I'm having a heck of a problem with Facebook, which seems to be singular to me, and it's not my devices, as it's the same on all three of my computers, with each using different AV and browser extensions.  You can see the whole Facebook debacle here.  I just didn't know if maybe there was something with the modem that could be "jogged", so to speak, to maybe fix this issue, as I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and things others have suggested, as well.  It's only Facebook.  Other sites are fine.  And that's what's odd.  

Thanks.  🙂  

66 REPLIES 66
Liz

Good morning Gabe,

I'm trying to run diagnostics, but your modem is inaccessible right now; is it connected with all the LEDs on?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

Oh, geez.  I forgot to leave it plugged in.  I should have taped a sign to it to remind me.  

It's now plugged in.  🙂

Thanks Gabe. Nothing that I can tell looks out of the ordinary. I made a few adjustments to your modem, one of which was clearing the modem's DNS cache. Please let me know if that makes any difference.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

Thanks, Liz.  I appreciate it.  

I'll keep an eye on it.  Right now it still seems to be the same, but it will probably take a little while to see if there is any noticeable difference. 

OK, I'll ask around to see if anyone else has additional suggestions and I'll let you know. 

GabeU

I definitely appreciate that.  

What's really odd is that, it can change from one minute to the next.  For the most part, last night, it was fine.  I was able to open pages in 30 seconds or less.  Then a couple of times it hit over three minutes.  Last night actually seemed to be a lot better than it had been over the last few weeks, but I'd had that happen before, thinking it was finally working again.  

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  And at times that you'd think it would be better, as in when less people are on, it can be worse, and the same goes for the other way.  

It's a head scratcher, for sure, and I don't understand why it's only affecting Facebook, save for maybe the fact that Facebook loads so many things.  

Like when I first opened Facebook about fifteen or so minutes ago, it took just under 60 seconds for it to finish.  I then tried opening a separate, alternate Facebook page (from a group), and it took about 45 seconds.  Then, just now, I tried opening another one, and it took nearly three minutes.  Just weird.  The last one was actually HughesNet's Facebook page.  😛  

GabeU

@Liz 

Something I started noticing, and which I was able to somewhat show last night, is that it's congestion that seems to be the thing that most negatively affects Facebook.  

For example, in the following TID from testmy.net, you can see that, though my overall speed is good, congestion is kicking up a bit (the jagged graph), and it took 112 seconds to finish opening a Facebook page.  

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Late last night Facebook was responding wonderfully, with three different pages (main page, HughesNet page, and a group page) taking under 20 seconds to load.  This was each page separately, of course, not all three at the same time.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to take snapshots of the page load times.  On a hunch, I ran a speed test, and this was it, which is showing a nice smooth line (after the goofy thing at the beginning), which means very little congestion.  

Capture2.JPG

I have begun to notice a pattern, in that Facebook seems to react terribly to congestion.  I don't have snapshots, other than what's seen above, and what's seen in the other thread, but after years you're able to tell when congestion is kicking up, as web pages load a little more slowly, or they pause or something like that. You just know it without having to have a test to show it.  Still, though, I'll try to get more snapshot examples going forward.  

It's funny, though, that when congestion kicks up, pretty much all other web pages I visit just load a little bit more slowly, whereas Facebook is so drastically affected, and even more strange is that this wasn't happening until the beginning of June.  Again, though, it may be because a Facebook page has so many elements to load.  This slowdown has actually caused me to not be able to participate in one of my Facebook groups, as an element of that participation is occasionally having to open a lot of Facebook pages.  Dozens, sometimes.  And, at two or three minutes for each page, or even longer, it becomes far too frustrating to bother.   

Again, I'll try to remember to get some snapshots of both Facebook page load times and a speed test or two when it's either kicking up, or working very well, like it was late last night.  Because of currently using Token data, though, it will likely not be until the 5th before I really start digging into it, as I'd rather not run a lot of tests right now due to wanting to use as little Token data as possible.  It's that darn PlayOn Cloud.  I love it, but I download a little too much.  😛 

I'm not surprised. If you saw all the little widgets and extra external junk that requires extra hits that are hidden (some layered within other things) inside a single Facebook web page... then add extra congestion latency to it... then if any of it is done by secure (https) means, which is where a lot of web sites are moving...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm not surprised. If you saw all the little widgets and extra external junk that requires extra hits that are hidden (some layered within other things) inside a single Facebook web page... then add extra congestion latency to it... then if any of it is done by secure (https) means, which is where a lot of web sites are moving...

That's what I'm thinking makes the difference between Facebook and pretty much all of the other web pages I frequent, or just go to after a search.  I notice, especially when I open it with Firefox, that the little notification on the lower left changes back and forth between two or three things, but it does it a lot, indicating that a new thing is loading.  It's ludicrous.  And, of course, it gets "stuck" on some things for a while, though I have no idea just what those things are, of course. 

I tried GW's suggestion of disabling JavaScript, and I've gone through a few of the other things in the Permissions list in Chrome, but none of them seem to make an appreciable difference.  And, of course, when disabling certain things the page becomes unusable.  

I also have user agent switcher, which I use for CNN to stop the videos from automatically playing, and even loading, but I've not had luck using it with Facebook, as it mostly causes Facebook to revert to the mobile version, which is awful on a computer.

<soapbox>

I'm admittedly heavily biased against FB and have been for several years. I went ballistic after fully reading their t's&c's about 6 or 7 years ago - the thing everyone ignores and just said "agree" to for the last time, since they said they would no longer bother to even ask you to agree to any changes in terms.

People are just now seeing how truly evil they are - financially (their own digital currency? really?), politically (Cambridge Analytica anyone?), not to mention a complete disaster from a web security standpoint, and anything else they're not admitting to.

Problem is everyone's so heavily invested in it as a means of communication they can't/won't give it up.

</soapbox>

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

FB1.JPG

FB1 TMN.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FB2.JPG

FB2 TMN.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FB3.JPG

FB3 TMN.JPG

Hmmm.  These tests don't seem to be fitting with my theory.  Still, only three tests isn't enough.  

"People are just now seeing how truly evil they are - financially (their own digital currency? really?), politically (Cambridge Analytica anyone?), not to mention a complete disaster from a web security standpoint, and anything else they're not admitting to."

That's the reason I try not  to have anything to do with any social media platform, IMO they censor users who post anything that doesn't agree with their version of political correctness. 
    Maybe  's  problem is their latest ploy to discourage users whose posts they don't like.   :<)>  As you said they are truly evil.

Why did this end up in the sidebar area to the right of this post???
GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

FB5.JPGFB5 TMN.JPG

FB6.JPGFB6 TMN.JPG

The last one is pretty good, in comparison.

GabeU

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm only posting these pics for continuing reference.  I'll probably continue to do the same each day.  

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

This last one was after clearing an hour's worth of my Chrome cache.  I was just curious as to how much time it would add.  It took 5:20.  That's just unreal, even at an overall speed of 12.76Mbps at the time.  Yahoo opened in 27 seconds, just after running the speed test.  

FB5.JPGFB5 TMN.JPG

GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

GabeU

A clarification:

Some of the TIDs show as being around four hours later than the corresponding FB pic with the clock from my PC.  Well, four hours and a couple of minutes, as I run the speed test after I take the FB snapshot.  I just noticed this tonight.  

The reason for this is that, when I open the TID directly after running the test, directly from the test result, is shows the four hour difference (displays UTC instead of EST).  Basically, if I ran the test at 10:05PM EST on Aug 1st, that TID will show the result as being from 2:05AM EST on Aug 2nd.  However, when I open the TID from my account Results page, it displays my correct local time for the test. 

Again, I just noticed this discrepancy tonight, and wanted to explain it in case other people noticed it, too.  Going forward I'll make sure to only click on the test TIDs from my account Results page so that they'll have the correct local time.  

As an example, I'll run a test now to show the difference...

This is **bleep** on the TID in the table below, and this is what it showed.  Notice the date and time is 8/4 at 3:23AM, which is four hours ahead of my local time.  

Capture.JPG

The following is from my own account Results page.  Clicking on the TID for the test shows this.  Notice the date and time is 8/3 at 11:23PM.  This is my local time.  

Capture1.JPG

Edit:  This is now the third time I've tried to post this.  If the sentence directly before the first pic is bleeped again, I give up.  The system, for some reason, is bleeping arbitrary things, and things that shouldn't be bleeped.  After two edits, I give up.  Just in case it bleeps it again, I'll take a picture of what I wrote and post it below.  

Capture2.JPG

maratsade

"Edit:  This is now the third time I've tried to post this.  If the sentence directly before the first pic is bleeped again, I give up.  The system, for some reason, is bleeping arbitrary things, and things that shouldn't be bleeped.  After two edits, I give up.  Just in case it bleeps it again, I'll take a picture of what I wrote and post it below. "

The random bleeping and the bleeping of whole sentences, is annoying. Perhaps the mods could look into this and put in a ticket with the forum provider? 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

The random bleeping and the bleeping of whole sentences, is annoying. Perhaps the mods could look into this and put in a ticket with the forum provider? 

Annoying is too nice of a term for how I'm feeling about it.  😛 

What's crazy is that it makes absolutely no sense.  None.  How or why the system is flagging what I wrote, and what I've written in other posts, is beyond me.  There's no rhyme or reason to it.  And even after changing the wording to something else innocuous it still flags it, like it's flagging the sentence itself, even though it's completely changed.  

It's outstandingly frustrating, to say the least, especially when you're trying to help someone solve something and you can't because of it.

GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

Good morning folks,

Thanks for documenting this weirdness with the filter; that's very unusual. I just checked out filters now and there's nothing in there out of the ordinary; haven't really messed with them since we first switched to this community platform. I'll submit a ticket and see where it goes. Thanks for the screenshot showing that the original phrase was. If you see more of this happening, please provide mor screenshots like that. Thanks!