cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those in the know, a question about speeds during peak usage period, and the possibility of improving them.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

For those in the know, a question about speeds during peak usage period, and the possibility of improving them.

As some of you already know by my posts, I'm keenly aware of the drop in speeds during the peak usage period, why it happens, and the acceptance of such without much problem.  Normally my speeds during said usage times, specifically in the evening, may go down considerably, often times to around 1.5Mbps or so.  Sometimes, though, especially during the thick of said period, from around 8:30pm to around 10:30pm, my speeds can drop to as low as sub 500Kbps.  It's not all that uncommon.  Earlier, at around 9:40pm, I was trying to get on Facebook and noticed that it was taking quite some time to open the page, so I went to do some speed tests. I never finished them, as it took about 20 seconds for it to get to 2% on a 12MB test.  To be honest, I normally just delete the tests with such low speeds, which is why they aren't in my testmy records.  I don't like to see them in the list.  LOL.  I know, it's sort of goofy to delete them.  I'm goofy.  Such is life.  I won't next time, so they can be seen by the people that need to see them, if necessary.   

My equipment is fine, and there is no obstruction, including that tree that it turns out I was unnecessarily somewhat concerned with (my signal strength is back up to 120 (go figure)).  It's also a perfectly clear evening.  Whenever this happens, I take everything in to account on my end, and sometimes even on the gateway's end (weather wise, anyway).  With everything being fine and in working order, and the sometimes tremendous slowdown in speeds during the thick of this evening peak period, is there really anything that can be done?  What I mean is, is there anything that Hughesnet is able to do in a situation like this?  Everything on my end is as good as it's going to get, meaning it's good.  LOL.  I just don't know enough about satellite internet, specifically regarding a single individual, as to whether there is really anything possible to do on Hughesnet's end.  If not, I will be fine.  I'm not going to have a hissy fit and condemn Hughesnet, nor relegate them to the bottom of the ISP barrel.  It is what it is, and it's acceptable, as normally my service is fantastic and I couldn't really ask for more.  I'm just curious if it's pretty much the way it is going to be, or if there is something they can do. 

I've heard load levelling mentioned, but isn't that something that's done system wide, or at least region wide? 

Again, I'm not complaining, as I love the service.  And again, if there is nothing that can really be done, it's fine.  I'm good.  I'm just curious.  Back to my chicken wings. 

Thanks.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: For those in the know, a question about speeds during peak usage period, and the possibility of improving them.

There are a few things they can do, but not much... Load Balancing for the most part is automated, and playing with it for a single customer can wreck havok on the system overall...  About all they can do is change your service plan level to bump you to a different IPGW, which will change what routes you take.
Highlighted

Re: For those in the know, a question about speeds during peak usage period, and the possibility of improving them.

Hi GabeU,

C0RR0SIVE is right, our engineers are always monitoring and tweaking the system to ensure the best service is available among all the gateways and beams. When we get reports of unusually slow speeds affecting a considerable number of subscribers in a specific area, our engineers will change focus to address that area, while still maintaining a decent level of service to the rest of the subscriber base.

Glad you're still happy with us, you know you can come here for help if you need it. Smiley Happy

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

I appreciate the info and the help. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit