cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 4 service is fast for .....less than one week out of the month!

Gen 4 service is fast for .....less than one week out of the month!

I just had to pay almost 3 times my monthly premium to keep the speed I expect out of your so-called fastest service Hughes Gen4. This is awful. I run out of service one week into my monthly allotted usage. Unless something is done quickly I am switching and have been a customer for a very long time.
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Gen 4 service is fast for .....less than one week out of the month!

Good morning Terry,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We want to address your concerns, so please post a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we can pull up your account.

To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

I will do this.

I will switch if I cannot get this resolved. I would rather have consistent and slower service, as well as cheaper, than a one week and done. I am not the only one dealing with this problem.

My wife has completely shut down her devices since the beginning of March. I do stream some but don't think it's abused....going to try what they suggest. Ty for your comments.
Assistant Professor

Terry, you must set video streaming to low or standard definition. Streaming in HD can use easily use anywhere from 2-4 GB an hour. Netflix and YouTube both have settings to reduce the definition of video streaming.

Ty....a friend said the same thing. I will definitely do this. It is a shame however, that you can't use the very best settings without being penalized.
Assistant Professor

It is a capped (metered) service. You have to monitor and manage the data you use and decide what is important and what is not. It is like the gas in your car, if you drive at 55 MPH your going to go further on a tank than if you drive 70 MPH.

Also install an ad blocker on all browsers.
Distinguished Professor III

Terry, there are a lot of things you have to adjust when going to a capped service like this.  Using the cloud is not a great idea (OneDrive), make sure to set Facebook to not allow videos to play automatically, make sure the resolution of your streamed videos and movies is set to standard or even lower definition.  Set your computer to metered service.  I've seen an instruction type thing of what to do when going to capped service, but I can't remember in which post I saw it.  Good luck. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I think I should have jumped on this chat earlier. I am going to take heed. Ty very much#