cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 actual speeds Vs Gen 4 actual speeds (at point of use)

Highlighted
Freshman

Gen 5 actual speeds Vs Gen 4 actual speeds (at point of use)

Case# 107397144 & 107427877 I upgrade to HT2000W using Windows 10. Since upgrading to Gen 5 my actual web-page browsing has been slower than my Gen 4. I understand that "the" reports show I am getting the "promised speeds"; but the actual actionable click link to the next page/action is slow. What actions can I take to improve this condition? (since going back to Gen 4 is not an option)

Now after reviewing the community I see this a common problem with the Gen 5 upgrade... (which should have been revealed when ordering - I would have okay with the truth and respected the company more) Has the problem been isolated and what is the current time line to address this problem for customers with this issue?

EchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID 1

Beam ID 84

Outroute ID 1

Satellite Receive Signal Strength 105

31 REPLIES 31
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Gen 5 actual speeds Vs Gen 4 actual speeds (at point of use)

LarryDarden,

Something you can try is changing your DNS server settings from Hughesnet's (obtained automatically) to Google's (specifically set to Google's DNS settings).  This sometimes helps. 

How to change DNS settings on a Windows 10 PC.   The "Control Panel" method is easiest.    

Google's IPv4 and IPv6 settings.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

GabeU Thanks; but no improvements.

Hmmm.  Have you tried a different web browser?  If not, I would try that.  I did a Google search about this and a suggestion I saw was reinstalling the browser.  

A couple of other things to try...

Flush your computer's DNS.  Open a Command prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns", without the quotes.  Hit enter and it should flush your DNS.  This may help, and it won't hurt anything doing this.  

You could also try cleaning your computer's registry, though you should be careful when doing so, as deleting the wrong thing can cause substantial issues.  CCleaner is pretty popular for doing this.  I clean what it finds using the default settings and have never had any issues, but, like anything, when you do something like this there is always a risk.  If you do use CCleaner, make sure to follow through with the backup of the registry it asks you if you want to do before cleaning the files.  That backup can come in handy in the future.  It prompts you before you actually clean anything.      

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

I have flushed DNS, used Ccleaner, defrag hard drives, tried updated browsers firefox/edge/chrome, stopped unnecessary applications and conducted multiple speed/web response tests with no improvements.

http://testmy.net/db/nyHUJi4mc.fW0Dw5dVZ

I read on another thread that upgrading to different GB serivce plan will change the outroute ID and/or IPGW string... Is this an proven theory that may correct the issues I am experiencing.

Regarding upgrading, there's no guarantee that this will improve service speed or browsing speed.  

With that said, are you sure that you aren't out of data right now?  That speed is quite low, though that's only one download speed test.  For future reference, though, when testing speed you should use the manual 25MB size for download tests and the manual 4MB size for upload tests, and the download test is the more important of the two.  But, again, are you sure you aren't out of data right now?  

Freshman

Not out of data. Nothing obstructing the satellite. No changes on the web use. Only changes is I upgraded to Gen 5 on Nov. 8. Contacted Hughesnet via phone that night about my concerns. I truely didn't expect to 25mbps but I thought I would be a little faster then Gen 4 not slower than both previous updates. Any other ideas or hardware changes I should try?

Capture.JPG

Freshman

Freshman

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

LarryDarden,

No, no other ideas other than running some speed tests at this point.  I do see that you ran another speed test while I was typing this and that speed test gave a speed that is somewhat decent, but, though aggravating, I'm sure, it's going to be a process of elimination.  The speed tests will not only rule out your speed being the issue, but the tests will also give other info, like indicators of possible congestion and whether your decent speed is constant (if it's good throughout the 25MB of the test).  

The following is a copy/paste of the speed testing procedure, so if it sounds a little general, that's why, but it's easier than typing it all out.  Again, I know it's probably aggravating that you need to run some speed tests, but they'll help to get to where we can pinpoint the problem.   

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see 5.c. in the section titled "How do I manage my built-in Wi-Fi modem?" in this PDF.